Tiger barbs or bumblebee gobys in 6gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of the "freebies" I just got is an Eclipse 6 tank. I love tiger barbs (the green & orange ones) and they don't get very big, so I was wondering about putting 2 in this little tank? I know I can't put them in a community tank. What kind of bottom feeder or algae eater would do all right with them? My other thought is bumblebee gobys for this tank. I could do 3 or 4 in a tank this size, but I've read that they are sensitive to water conditions and may be difficult to keep? Any thoughts/feedback?

I just lost 2 bumblebee gobies. :cry: The first within 2 weeks. The second after 2 months. I didn't read enough up on them. They need live food and I was feeding flake. The second one survived my nightmare of a cycling issue but died shortly afterwards though. Now that I am more educated on them, I am thinking of getting a couple more. He was great to watch. He kept to himself and very beautiful too! :D HTH!

JenNewbie...

A 6-gallon tank isn't big enough for Tiger Barbs. They are very active fish and need quite a bit of swimming space to be happy. They're also schooling fish and have a tendency to get decidedly nasty if there aren't enough of them. They also grow to about 3 - 3 1/2 inches as adults.

Bumblebee gobies are fun fish as long as you keep in mind that they need brackish water and need to be kept quite warm. Fishy is correct in saying that they prefer live food though I had success with them using frozen daphnia and bloodworms.

Not all BBG's are brackish water. I have some in my FW puffer tank. They have been there for almost 3 months now and they are doing awesome. So if you decide to go with them, make sure you ask what kind they are first, FW or BW. :mrgreen:

Fruitbat's right. tiger barbs need a group of 6 or more, which as juvie's will fully stock the tank. When adults, they'll be so crowded you'll undoubtedly lose several of them to stress or fighting.

It is tricky to stock a 6-gal tank. You could get some dwarf puffers (FW), maybe 3, that would fit in there, if you are looking for something a little different.

I had 5 tiger barbs in a 12-gal while they were tiny, but it did not take long before they needed to be moved to a large tank.

Back
Top Bottom