Tiger oscar is acting up!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machoburrito

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone my tiger Oscar is trying to jump out of my tank and he keeps hurting himself and cutting up his body because I have an aluminum lid is there any reason behind this???? Help me out thank you

He's probably attacking his reflection, it's fairly common in large Central and South American cichlids, they're called "glass bangers".

Oh ok but he has really damaged his face from jumping into my lid is that normal too??

No the Oscar is not alone he has a jack when is real clam and a jaguar which is small and the Oscar is about 7 inches in a 80 gal tank

I would just keep the water clean and monitor for any real damage. Are you sure he's attacking the glass or being attacked? I have all those fish and the Jags are very aggressive.

I hope a tank upgrade is in the future with that stock list, hopefully a 180g or larger.

Yes in the future and no the jag is way to small the Oscar can eat him if he really tried and yes he is just going crazy on his own he jumps hits the lid then just swims and knocks everything over and then just clams down and relaxes I saw him do it. It's scarring me I've had him for over a year I would hate to see him kill himself.

My pair of oscars hit the lid ten times a day, I'll be honest sometimes they hit it so hard it scares the crap out of me especially at night. I also have to weight all my lids down since some of my fish are 14"+.

Oh ok that puts me at ease a little bit ok well is there anything I can use to make the healing process go quicker or is it just time? Oh one more thing the jag and jack don't eat pellet food what's the best way to make them like it I buy the best kind too.

Clean water is the best medicine for healing.

As far as training fish for pellets the trick is to not feed them for a few days then try introducing pellets. The size is also important, make sure they can swallow the pellet whole without chewing as this cuts down on waste.

Ok sounds good yeah I got large for the Oscar and sinking small for the jack and jag and when the do try it they take it whole no problem but spit it right back out

Back
Top Bottom