tiger oscars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwenavir

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello! i am seeking info about tiger oscars. i think they are amazing fish and would like to have more than one in the same tank, probably two, the black and orange and the white(albino). i've been getting opinions from people at my local petsmart but i was hoping for a little more knowledge on the subject...can they live together, can i feed them live fish only, how fast do they grow....and i cant think of anything else to ask at the moment but i am sure there is much more to these things than just that

like most oscars I would imagine that they would grow at a rather quick rate, what size tank do you plan on keeping them in?

gwenavir - they are very owner responsive fish so that makes them very interesting. As tropicfishman asked what size tank do you plan to keep them in. Most people knowledge able about them suggest a 75gal or larger for pair. If you would like 3 together I would suggest a 125gal, 72Linx18inWx22inH. They grow fairly fast, I think around .5 to 1.0 inches a month, someone correct me if I am wrong. They are not very aggressive fish, they just like to eat almost anything that fits in their mouth. I was rehoming a large 12-14 oscar and a 5-6 convict and they were in a small tank with a divider. I would come home and the divider was out of place so I fixed it and assumed it was the oscar trying to get at the convict. I was wrong I watched one day and say the convict displaced the divider and go after the oscar. Since their stomachs are bottomless pits you need very good filtration. If you go with a 75 gal I would suggest 2 Emperor 400s or 2 AquaClear 110 (with either filter you will get 800gph of water turn over) , you can get both for around $40 each if you print out the online cost at Petsmart.com and take it to the store, it is a corporate policy they honor the price, they usually have to get a manager to approve it. If you go with a 125gal go with 3 of the Emp400 or 3 of the AC110, you can also go with canisters, Rena XP3’s are about $104 dollars if you price match them at petsmart as well. Feeding them is the fun part, don’t feed them feeders as staple, especially gold fish. Get them to eat pellets when larger and go to your local grocery store or Asian store and get frozen uncooked shrimp with the heads cut off and remove the shell. If you want to feed them feeders (don’t use gold fish get guppies or something else) I would suggest only once a week or use ghost shrimp, and with feeders you want to quarantine them for about two weeks to insure they are not sick. The GF lost a 26-28inch Silver Aro to a bad/sick feeder. They also like to re-arrange your tank, so be prepared for this. I personally would use pool filter sand only about $8 for a 50lb bag and you’ll need about 1 bag for a 75gal and about 2 bags for a 125, also I would not use any other decorations just to give them more room to swim, also makes cleaning the tank easier since all you have to do is vacuum the waste that sits on top of the sand. Once your tank is cycled I would recommend 25% water changes twice a week or 50% water changes once a week, use dechlor and get the water temp going back in the tank as close as possible to the water temp in the tank. A python would be a idea if you don't have one already, will make your water changes a breeze. Any other questions?

Goodness. Very thorough!

I'd personally go with at least 125g for two. You'll really get to see their personality if you give them plenty of room.

Aside from being disease carriers, feeders aren't very nutritious, so they shouldn't be a main food source. If you want to give them as treats, you might think about breeding your own guppies.

Also, they're very smart fish, so give them some toys so they can stay occupied: plastic plants to uproot or float a ping pong ball.

hi again! thank you so much for your quick responses, i will probably need to wait longer before i get some because i dont have enough space in my home for the tank they require. but is beef heart okay to feed them daily and ping pong balls huh? my kind of fish!!!

gwenavir - alot of discus owners and some cichlid owners feed beef heart. I personally don't because there is some information regarding fish eating mammal meat (such as beaf heart) that causes fat to build up in the fishes liver. Also it can get messy feeding beef heart as a staple. An option is grocery store shrimp (uncooked), its cheaper (probably get a pound for $4-$5) and doesn't make as much of a mess in your tank.

any finely diced fresh seafood or frozen without any additives would work well....scallops, oysters, shrimp...

Back
Top Bottom