tightest schooling fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phlegethon

Aquarium Advice Activist
*part 1*

Well I decided my tanks are not planned out very well as far as stocking goes so I took several fish back to the LFS. I'm seeking advice and ideas for stocking a 40 gallon planted tank. Currently inhabited by 1 red-tail shark, 1 bristlenose pleco, some Amano shrimp and a few Asiatic freshwater clams. I think I would really like to have a single large group of fish that really schools together very tightly. I created more swimming space in the tank towards this end. I hope the red-tail will encourage the schooling behavior. I did have 8 head & taillight tetras but they didn't really school very much (except when I stuck my hands in there to rearrange plants and whatnot).

So what fish are the most adamant schoolers, and how many should I have?

*part 2*

My 5.5 gallon workdesk aquarium is now matured and ready for some fish (the previous inhabitants also went back to the LFS). I need ideas for stocking this tank. I'll assume small fish are mandatory for such a small tank. It's planted with a nice chunk of driftwood, pH 7.0

What would you put in there?

I know you tried tetras, but my glowlight tetras are never apart. I have about 8 and they look great in the tank.

I think celebes rainbows are a great schooling fish for a planted tank! My neons are never too far apart too.

Remember, most schooling fish will need a large number of fish to exhibit true schooling behaviour i.e. all fish swimming same direction/speed and turning same time/same way. Otherwise your fish will simply be shoaling i.e. loosely grouped and random movement of individuals.

i had 6 danios and they didnt school much. but that was probally because i didnt have enough.

my tetras are never far apart.

corys are a little lazy but when they all feel like it you see like a train of them.

follow the leader :p :lol: 8) :eek: :) :D

Or a female betta!
For schooling fish, cardinal tetras are cute--you can get lots and they should brighten up you tank as they school along.

A school of say 20-30 Glowlight tetras would look nice and should be enough to exihibit actual schooling.
Pretty much any of the smaller Tetras, Barbs, Danios or Rainbows would look nice IMO.

As for the 5.5 tank, as already mentioned, a single really nice Betta male, 2-3 Betta females or Guppies ect... could do well in that small of a tank.

Sounds like maybe I just didn't have enough tetras. I'll try some cardinals or glowlights in a group of 12-15.

For the 5.5 gallon, would 3 dwarf puffers (1") and 2 dwarf corys (1") be too crowded? Arizona Aquatic Gardens has both at a good price (that place rocks...)

Thanks for the advice guys.

yeah the corys wont work but the puffers will.

ive heard of them being territorial even to other puffers but ive never had that problem.

ive tried corys with them and it never worked.

Small tanks are tough. I've had 3 dwarf puffers in a 10 for a year, but I'm tired of them, pretty boring - they're heading for the club auction in a couple weeks. I had my female betta in a 10 for a while, but when I moved her to my 75 community tank, she became a completely different fish, much more fun to watch, and now I would not keep a betta in a small tank. If I had a 5.5 I might try one of these options:
1. a pair of Endler's livebearers - if you want fry production
2. 3-4 neon tetra - so pretty
3. 2 otos with a nice branching piece of driftwood that fills the tank
4. a few microrasbora - haven't seen anyone try these, but they look very cool and stay <1"

Ryan

My Cardinals school VERY tightly and are never to far apart. When you have a semi-aggressive fish that will also help them school better. As for the 5.5g I'd go with dwarf Puffers.
Hope This Helps

i had the rummy nose tetras and i only had 4 but they never split appart the whole time i had them. i assume that the more u get the better they school and they are very attractive in groups becasue of there white/black tails and red faces. very unique fish but would look amazing in a school of 15 in your tank.

If you go with glowlight tetras, I'd probably go 20 of them. Cardinals are good too. Or if you like the rummy nose tetras, go with 15-20 of them. They are good schoolers too.

My Hengeli Rasboras stay pretty close as well, even in the small group I have.

Jchillin said:
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:53 am

This thread was from two years ago...I would think the OP (original poster) has his answer already.

And yet as with the other one that you locked I enjoyed reading it very much.

Back
Top Bottom