Time for a new heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_1_6

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Current tank: 20 long
Current heater: Hagen (150 watt I think) that is extremely old.

My fish seem stressed and never come out from hiding in the plants. I can physically see the hot water coming off the heater when it is on much like when you look across a field on a hot day and can see the air temperature waves. I'm assuming this is causing large temp swings and is stressing the fish out. This heater was in a 30 long and the fish were showing the same symptoms. Plants around the heater never live long or never thrive. I increased the flow around the heater.
Could the heater be causing the stress to the fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll hook up my temp probe and watch it this afternoon. My guess is 78-80 when I originally set it however I know it's been bumped and isn't set to that anymore. The heater has no temp indicator and is manually turned up until I see the light turn on

Current tank temp is 79 and when the probe is moved near the heater is goes up to 81 when the heater light is off.

I don't think thats your issue. In the wild temperatures fluctuate 2-3 degrees daily. Possibly more depending on the body of water.
I have seen month old heaters give off the "wave" effect so I wouldn't say thats the problem either.

Do you know your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ammonia and nitrite should be 0 the tanks been running with fish and shrimp colony fully planted for 5 months now. Nitrates will be a little higher from ei dosing

Full tank specs:
50% weekly water change with 50/50 RO water/tap water. EI dosing with 4 ml excel daily. Pressurized co2, drop checker bright green through the day, co2 off at night. Marine land magnum 220 canister filter. The old heater as described above. Aquatic life Dual 24" t5-ho light with 1x6700k bulb and 1x rossette plant bulb. Temp is 79, fluorite dark substrate.
Fish: 6x dwarf emerald rasboras + 100-150 blue velvet shrimp and 1 pigmy Cory cat.

Fish just hide in the plants all day long.

Are you checking for pH swings or just going off of the DC? I've been told that looking at pH drop is much more accurate than looking at a DC. Just a suggestion
Cory cats like schools of 6+ in case you didn't know.
Do your fish come out when the lights are off?
When I had my black skirt tetras everyone in my 29 gallon planted would hide until the light was turned off. I eventually found out it was because the black skirt tetras where to aggressive for my neons. Anyway, if your fish come out when the light is off maybe look into dimming it some how.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No I don't see them out too much when the lights are off. I know about the Cory's I had a school of them and this one is the last of them. I will be getting more next time I come across them. I've been running tanks with co2 for 2 years now and these are the only ones not to come out from hiding. I just found it odd how the last time I've seen this was when using this heater in a 30 gallon hence the original question

If you stick your middle finger and index finger on ONE hand in the tank do you feel a tingle? It would be the same feeling a 9V battery would give off when you touch your tongue with it.

Nope no tingle. I'm doing a 50% water change tonight and I'll see what happens after. Temperature, fish activity etc.

Back
Top Bottom