Time for new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danio35

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm would like to begin adding new fish to my newly cycled 55-gal. Currently I have 5 Danio's, 3 Red-Nosed Tetras, will soon add 3 Silver Hatchetfish (being QT), and False Chinese Algae Eater.

I would like to get something a little bigger and colorful. Was thinking of Gourami. Is that a good choice? Would love to have a Ram, but my H2O is way too hard with pH of 8.4.

Any ideas appreciated.

With that high pH maybe you should think about getting some African cichlids? There are allot of people here who will be better in helping you with the africans. Gouramies would work in there in terms of tankmates, but I don't know whether they like that pH. You could also add some more red nose tetra's, maybe 4-6 more. They like being in larger groups and it makes quite a sight if they school.

Good luck finding the right fish!

Danio,
You have enough room to build up the Danio and Tetra groups (maybe 7-10 each). That would be quite impressive. A gourami would be beautiful....but more than one could mean territorial spats. :roll:

I wouldn't go with African cichlids, it looks like you have the beginnings of a lovely peaceful community. Look into Rainbowfish too.

A steady pH is better than trying to get the "perfect" pH. I think a gourami or a pair of angels would look awesome in your tank. Just make sure you acclimate them really well.

oh and rainbow fish are really cool looking as well!

Billsgate said:
With that high pH maybe you should think about getting some African cichlids?

Would love Love LOVE to go with Mbuna Cichlids, but would they go with my other fish? That's why I ruled them out.

Thanks,

Michelle

If it's rams you want, try Bolivians instead of blues. They can tolerate a higher pH than blues and are hardier in general. I am lucky, my water tests at 7.0 out of the tap so I have never tried keeping BRs in a higher pH, but I suspect it could be done. I also think the driftwood is a good idea, it might help lower the pH and it will look great too. :D

rubysoho said:
A steady pH is better than trying to get the "perfect" pH. I think a gourami or a pair of angels would look awesome in your tank. Just make sure you acclimate them really well.

oh and rainbow fish are really cool looking as well!

I had thought about Angelfish, too, but would my Danio's bother them?

Thanks,

Michelle

Mbuna are extremely aggressive and would not do well with the fish you already have. But if you wanted to get rid of the fish you already have your pH is pretty much perfect for them.

Menagerie said:
I wouldn't go with African cichlids, it looks like you have the beginnings of a lovely peaceful community. Look into Rainbowfish too.

Yeah, I just want all my fish to get along. I haven't thought about Rainbowfish. I don't know too much about them. I'll start researching them...

THanks!!

Michelle

Rainbowfish get rather big (some can be 3-5 inches) and like to be in groups...just so you know. But they are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom