Time for some more fish.(swordtail questions too)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfink

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking for some suggestions on a new tank addition or two:

I currently have a 29 gal tank, heavily planted (plastic and silk) across the rear half and open swimming in the front. Tank has some african driftwood that makes a nice arch for hiding and a cave for hiding.

I currently have:
5 Zebra Danios
4 Red Eye Tetras
2 Sunburst (Micky Mouse) Platties
2 Otos
2 Dwarf Gouramis

I'm looking to add a fish or two: I really like my platties becasue they swim together and surf in the filter return, so I might get another pair.

I'm also interested in a swordtail, but I'm afraid that they might get too big (up to 5"?) If I did get a swordtail, would it be better on its own or with a buddy? I read males will be aggressive to eachother?

Any other suggestions? I like slower moving pretty fish like the platties and gouramis. The danios and tetras I have just are not as interesting.

I'm also interested in a swordtail, but I'm afraid that they might get too big (up to 5"?)
I thought the females grew bigger. I have never been able to keep swords alive :?
Your tank is pretty full with bioload right now. If I were you, I would get rid of the danios or tetras to make room for fish you really like. That's what I did. There was a local fish auction and off my tetras went! In came fish I love! Often you can just give fish to the LFS, or ask around to any fish buddies you might have.

Swordtails average about 3-4 inches fully grown, from what I know. I used to have a few green swordtails until my cat got a hold of them. Femals are usually larger and less colorful (and with no sword) and the males are usually smaller, alot more colorful (and have the sword).

I agree with Menagerie though...I wouldn't go adding any more fish to that tank unless you got rid of some others. Most LFS 's will buy fish from you, or you can do the auction thing as well. Swordtails really are cool fish and there are so many color variations as well.

Enjoy.

The female sword usually get bigger then the males. I have personally never seen any swords get 5". My full grown female is about 3.5 inches long. The males do need more of an open area to swim around in due to the sword.

I personally think it's ok to add just 1 male swordtail without having to remove any fish. Only if you decide to add more then that, would I start removing fish. Besides, it is better to add at least 3 or more male swordtails to keep the aggression down.

FawnN said:
I personally think it's ok to add just 1 male swordtail without having to remove any fish. Only if you decide to add more then that, would I start removing fish. Besides, it is better to add at least 3 or more male swordtails to keep the aggression down.

Aside from the bioload portion of this discussion, are you saying that one male would be ok by himself? Would he be aggressive with my other fish? Would he be unhappy because he doesn't have a buddy (like a lone fish that should school)
(FYI...I understand that two would be agressive to eachother and wear one of them out...so three or more is good becasue it distributes the aggression)

On the topic of bioload, if you use the 1 inch per fish rule, I am under the limit now, but once the fish reach their full adult size, I would be borderline. I have been considering trading in the red eyes. All they do is sit still in the plants until you feed them. I'll talk to my LFS.

Any other suggestions for standalone fish that are fun?

How about a Bolivian ram for a "centerpiece" fish? If you don't know about them they are peaceful South American dwarf cichlids (although territorial with their own species). If you take back the red eyes you could get a pair. They are really interesting, beautiful, and hardy, and they only grow to about 3 inches max. Of course they are some of my favorite fish so I am a little biased. :wink:

The agression I've only seen once, my sister had a red swordtail, it would sportkill the neons.. (never ate them, just killed them), but the size of your tankmates, they would be fine.

They are surface skimmers too, which is kinda nice.. and yes, as others have said, males are nicer to look at (they get swords) and don't get as big as the females (but don't tell them they need to go on a diet, you're likely to get slapped)

if it's a fish you like, then go with it. :)

My male swords are less than 3 1/2 inches with sword. They are in a community 50 gal. They chase each other but do not bother the other fish. If your platys have fry, the swords will eat them quick. :D

Back
Top Bottom