time out for bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish 'n' fries

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got two female bettas for a 5 gallon tank (4 days ago). They were added at the same time. I kept catching the blue on chasing the red one. No damage as of yet--but I'm worried. The blue one is currently in the "time out tank" (ie. breeder net). How long should I keep her there if isolation will work? Any other suggestions other than another tank (the other available tank has a 2-2/12 inch angel who I suspect may not play nicely--correct me if I'm wrong on that assumption). Thanks.

Let the blue girl out. They do chase a bit just like tetras and barbs will go at each other. They like to display but don't do much damage. I have 9 females together. Often times there are a few in the tank with torn tail fins and other fin damage. Rarely is more than one in perfect condition at one point in time. I've only had two killer females out of dozens I've owned. Just be sure they have hiding places.

I will say this is much more chasing than my danios do...and always one way. It reminded me too much of how the angels were (the one finally died--I'm afraid because of the stress--it was never damaged).

But I like that solution better--I have other plans for the tank that's not set up and really don't want another right now. Plus I must say, the red one does tend to hang around the blue one...so maybe I'm just over reacting.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if this would apply to bettas -- but, I had a similar problem with two male gouramis. I took the more agressive gourami out of the tank and into my QT tank for one day. When I put him back into my 55 gallon, he was no longer dangerously aggressive towards the other male.

Back
Top Bottom