Time to clean the filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
Oh man...
Im just wrapping up a water change on one of my tanks and when I plugged the canister filter back in I heard some air rattling around in there. So I did what I normally do and picked it up, gave it a little shake and tapped on the sides a little.
I must have knocked something loose, because suddenly the output starts spewing out a cloud of gunk that has created an impenetrable haze within the aquarium.

So... I know what Im doing next week during the water change. :whistle: :lol:

What fun! Which make/model of canister are you running? Pipe cleaners with long handles may be useful for cleaning the buildup in the tubing. Sounds like the canister body can use a good flushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mine kicks some reddish crap, looks like dead algae I've treated with h2o2??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When my canister does that it makes a hell of a mess! My gunk seems to be brown flakes, same colour as diatom buildups?!?

Sent from my iPhone using my fat fingers covered in chocolate...

Im running two Eheim Ecco 2232 on a 20 Long. Originally they were on two separate 20 Longs. Without going into the boring details, they are now running in tandem on the same tank. I suppose too much filtration is better than not enough. :cool:

I just did the cleaning and maintenance on the other one today. I usually like to stagger the cleanings by 2-3 weeks to make sure things stay stable. After seeing the "fog machine" go off, I'm going go ahead and do it next week.
I do have some flexible brushes that I use for the pipes and tubing. I was amazed how much flow I got back after using them the first time. That build up in the tubes has more effect than some people think.

Anyways, I was just taken back at how much gunk was blasting out. Ive never had that happen before. :lol:
Im not even sure how/why its gotten that dirty. The tank itself isn't overstocked and I try not to overfeed (try being the operative word). I usually clean them out every 2-3 months, but if Im being honest I cant actually say how long its been. :whistle:
Too long, apparently.

Back
Top Bottom