Timid Angels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_elvish_misfit

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a tank full of Neons Platys Mollies and Swordtails... and 2 Angels. I've never kept Angels before, I know they're supposed to be aggressive but I'm afraid that they're not eating due to the fact they run whenever another fish comes near them. The fish are just heading towards the food, but it scares the Angels away from the same piece of food. It dosen't seem they can scavenge off the gravel either due to their large fins. I really don't want to take them out of the tank, in case it stresses them out and they won't eat at all. Anyone have any ideas?

I have 2 angels with neons, guppies and cory cats. Mine were a little timid at first but are fine now. They rush to the top when they see me coming now. Have you had them long? Maybe they just need to settle in like mine did. Mine also scavenge off the bottom. They tuck their fins in somehow. I haven't tried it but there is this stuff called garlic guard and if you soak their food in it I guess the fish can't resist it. Or maybe get something really yummy that you don't normally feed them. Good luck!

Angels can be very shy at first. One thing to keep in mind is that as the angels get bigger they may eat your neons. I have lost neons to angels before.

What size tank is it?

It could be stress. I know it took mine a couple of days to get adjusted they were a little smaller than a quarter then when they matured about the size of my hand they started fighting over territory and got shy again. I had to get another tank but it was worth being able to keep them both.

How big are your angels and what size tank?

The tank is 10 gallons. Right now the Angels body's (not including fins) is about the size of a nickel. If and when they get bigger I'll get a new bigger tank but right now my Neons are the same length as them (obviously not the same height).

They have their own little territory near the heater, I've been slipping some food in through where the heater goes in and they eat it... until the other fish notice lol.

How many fish are in there all together? Maybe it's too crowded. They say you should only have one inch of adult size fish per gallon.

My koi angel took a while to relax enough to not be afraid of the other tank mates. Just to reiterate what Zagz said, once the angel gets bigger it will most likely eat the other fish. Mine hasn't touched my neons yet but he's eaten quite a few adult male guppies and quite a few fancy guppy tails.

You could try some floating plants that would divide the top of the tank up. Feed the fish on the one side first, while they are distracted, feed the angels in the other side.

My koi angel took a while to relax enough to not be afraid of the other tank mates. Just to reiterate what Zagz said, once the angel gets bigger it will most likely eat the other fish. Mine hasn't touched my neons yet but he's eaten quite a few adult male guppies and quite a few fancy guppy tails.

You could try some floating plants that would divide the top of the tank up. Feed the fish on the one side first, while they are distracted, feed the angels in the other side.
This is also what I was going to suggest even though my angels have never been timid. I still feed on separte ends of the tank because my angels are aggressive towards the other fish right now, as they have free swimmers in the tank and are protecting them. Try feeding just your angels some frozen blood worms. That is a real treat for my pair and they LOVE them!

Another thing that could be wrong is mollies and platy's usually like high lvl pH, like around 7.5 or so, but angels like it at 6.5 or so at most like 7.0-7.2 soooo if your pH lvl is too high that could be the reason.

Fish will also adapt to your pH so I wouldn't suggest trying to chemically alter your pH either. Before I would think that it was a pH problem, my guess is that the tank might be a bit overcrowded for them. When are you planning on upgrading to a bigger size? I would suggest a 29g, as this was the size I had my two angels in with other fish before I moved them up to a 55g.

Back
Top Bottom