Timid fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason7894561230

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello
I am a :n00b: so some advice would be great! I have these two Zebra fish and they are so timid they always skoot off to their hiding place in their dragon and since they have come my goldfish has stayed in his little corner my tank i fear may be ruined please help me!:confused::confused::confused:

Sounds like your zebra's might be stressed to me. Let me ask a few questions. What size is your tank? How often do you change the water? Have you tested it? What were the readings? Do you heat your tank? What temp?

Hope I'm not scaring you with all the questions. Just need some info. so we can try and figure out what's going on. :)

you say its small, how small? what type of goldfish? zebra danios are really active fish and you may just be seeing their normal activity... they really dont belong in a tank with goldfish of any kind

My tank is a 7 lirte tank i change the water every two weeks (i would do it every week but i have a great filter and plants) im getting it tested next week so i will tell you, no but i have it next to the sun so the water gets warm naturlly, my goldfish is just a fantail.

My tank is a 7 lirte tank i change the water every two weeks (i would do it every week but i have a great filter and plants) im getting it tested next week so i will tell you, no but i have it next to the sun so the water gets warm naturlly, my goldfish is just a fantail.

Thats a small tank. I have bigger for fry!

OK, thanks. Well, your tank is small and here's the deal. The smaller the tank, the sooner you have to change the water. Even with plants and a great filter, 2 weeks is way to long. You might get away with that on a much larger tank say, 50/75 gallons but not on a little one. It's simply a matter of space. Ummm, one drop of waste in an ocean of water v/s one drop in a glass of water. Hope that helps. I'd change the water at least once a week, maybe more depending on your readings. (suggest you get a water test kit. I just git one for $25) As far as the sun goes, sunshine is pretty much the enemy of fish tanks. Promotes algae growth and can easily over heat the water. It's a small tank so it doesn't tank much. Now about your fish. As others have pointed out, goldfish and zebras shouldn't really be together. A goldfish is a Pond Fish and a Zebra is a Freshwater Fish. I know, they both live in freshwater but water temperatures are very different between the two. A zebra's water should be kept at about 78 degrees where a goldie, any goldfish prefers it much colder. Say in the upper sixties. Also, both your fish will quickly outgrow your tank. Some people say a fish will grow to the size of a tank so don't worry about it. Not true. Here's how it works. The outside of the fish will grow to the size of the tank and stop but his insides keep growing to normal size. This of course eventually leads to the death of the fish. Sad story but these are the facts.

Anyway, easy solution. Get a bigger tank and heater and stuff! Hey, you're having fun right? Sure! So just keep your eye open for the stuff you need. New or used, doesn't matter. I see them on Craig's list all the time at great prices. Sometimes for free. But beware of MTS. (multiple tank syndrome) :lol: Just kidding. Hang in there. The fun is just beginning.

Thanks all i will try and get a tank for Christmas hopefully and will put it in there but then what shall i put in that tank? I was think for a 30 or so lirte tank with a heater so i was thinking some neos and maybe a black ghost knife fish and silver dollers. But then what should i put in my small tank?

Thanks all i will try and get a tank for Christmas hopefully and will put it in there but then what shall i put in that tank? I was think for a 30 or so lirte tank with a heater so i was thinking some neos and maybe a black ghost knife fish and silver dollers. But then what should i put in my small tank?

The black ghost nife fish is a NO NO Black Ghost Knife Fish, Apteronotus albifrons Profile, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish Look how big they grow, 20" in a tank that will be 18 inches long?

Silver dollars are fine when they juvenile but again these get rather big, 6 inches PLUS.

If you got that tank I would suggest taking the goldfish back to your fish shop and hopefully they would give you credit for him, getting 7 or 8 neons and keeping your danios.

Remember if when you get your new tank if you dont swap the filter over to make sure you cycle it with any new filter before adding fish.

What to put in your small tank? snails and shrimp ;)

either make a shrimp tank or a beta tank with the little one you have now... as for a 30 litre tank, thats too small for a bgk, too small for silver dollars too... they get huge, 75g is minimum for them, and thats even kinda small... i would go with neons and similar fish that are compatable with them

either make a shrimp tank or a beta tank with the little one you have now... as for a 30 litre tank, thats too small for a bgk, too small for silver dollars too... they get huge, 75g is minimum for them, and thats even kinda small... i would go with neons and similar fish that are compatable with them

Exactly. Little tank, little fish. Suggestion: Take a look at Mickey Mouse Platy's. You might like them and their size is right for a 40 liter (10 gallon) tank. Gotta stay away from anything bigger until you get a bigger tank. But hey, you can have a lot of fun with little tanks. They're cheap so over time you could get a bunch of them. :rainbowafro:

Oh yeah, I'd maybe put a Betta in your 7 liter.

No no no no no to the BGK! I agree! I have one, and he grows WAY faster than most people expect (4 inches in 3 months), and I know right now, if I didn't already have a giant tank, I would not be able to afford a bigger one, so I don't know what I would have done.
Harlequin Rasbora's are cute little fish, and they're fun.
Remember Mollies and Platys have a ton of babies, so I would not get them if you are not going to be able to deal with all the fry.
When I researched my fish, I made sure mine were in the "difficult" section of the breeding so I don't ever have to worry about fry.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom