Timing on shifting fish from QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
I picked up some Bolivian rams last weekend. Been in QT for a week, just in case I guess but more mainly to settle them down before trying them with the angelfish.

After a few days they were chirpy on food begging and last few days seem to have more colour (never kept them before).

Was going to check ammonia tonight and ran out of time this weekend to shift them to main tank. So looking at another week in QT but wanted to ask how long people leave their fish in QT? My main issue is making sure they can handle the angelfish - hopefully their size will solve that.

3b54532e54e7de2addaa648792456915.jpg

I have Bolivians and leopoldi angels together. I agree with fresh on time. My Leo's are still young. So far it is a good mix

Geez, that light is blue! :) Even with the blue lights taped off. Grumble, grumble.

Time sounds good - mainly want to make sure they are in good condition I think.

These are going into the 150gal. I thought to get 6 but lfs suggested 4. If they survive a week should be ok.

I looked at trying blue rams again but these had more size.

That footprint will give them lots of room to spawn. Mine are good parents. With cover you could have a bunch in a few months. I got ottos and Cory's to keep numbers in check. I can't give them away in Tulsa

I've always done a full month in QT and no joke, any fish I've had in QT show signs of a problem so far was always in week 2 or 3. Remember that disaster I had in June with the GBRs? That was end of week 2.

Btw love those BRs... I have one in my main tank and he's always poking around the bottom at the front of the tank, not skittish at all unlike the golden rams. Him and my red tail shark are the oldest occupants of my display tank actually...

8 weeks is generally recommended. When I qt, it is 3 weeks minimum. If I was in a situation where I could only QT for 1 week, I would probably proactively medicate them even though I generally don't do that.

I always do 4 weeks. Some diseases take 2 weeks to incubate so anything less than that would be a risk to your main tank.

Thanks everyone - good food for thought. Will leave a little longer. Still looking happy. They didn't like their first water change much but back to charging up to see me (or the food container).

3-4 weeks and am so glad I do. I just had a GBR disaster that started between 2-3 weeks in to QT.

Back
Top Bottom