Tiny bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitche8359

Aquarium Advice Addict
K. From what I've been reading on the web, one of the best signs that photosynthesis is occurring with submerged plants is that small bubbles will form on the plants and rise through the water. The other night, I saw tiny bubbles coming from a large anubia in the tank. I was expecting the bubbles to come from the leaves were transpiration occurs, but the bubbles were coming from the rhysome. Anyone know if this is normal?

Yes, this is perfectly normal. The bubbles can come from anywhere on the plant above the substrate. I find they ferquently come from places where a leaf or stem may be torn, broken, or have a small flaw in it.

You got bubbles with no Co2? I've never gotten them like that, but I also upgraded lights and co2 at the same time.

Sounds like you are on the right track :p

Yeah bubbles with no co2. I hauled out the old canister filter that I had sitting around. Thinking about converting it into a co2 generator. I think I'll let the tank settle for a while first and note the growth of the plants. That way I'll have something to compare. I already found out the difference that light makes. One of the leaves of the large anubia started turning yellow from lack of light. Since the new lights went in, the leaf has turned a nice dark green. Of course the yellow part has died and fallen off. Once the plant gets a few more leaves, a little pruning will be in order.

Back
Top Bottom