Tiny Hair-Like Parasites on Gills?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello All,
I may have an issue that needs to be solved immediately. I have a Dwarf Gourami in a hospital tank (I put him in there because my GBR's laid eggs and they fight with the Gourami). I noticed 2 days ago he started flashing. I thought something was wrong so I started to dose Seachem Paraguard to the water daily. This morning while feeding him I noticed from looking down from the top, there are fine hair like parasites (flukes?) coming from his gills. I couldn't see it from looking at him head on, but my first thought was gill flukes. Am I correct? If so, will Paraguard treat him? Any other suggestions? I also have Seachem Kanaplex as well as Seachem Sulfizide.

I am also worried my main tank is infected as the GBR's I have are flashing occasionally, although I thought it was because they have fry.

I do 2 water changes a week at 25% and 40%, and they all are eating properly. Outside of flashing, nothing out of the ordinary.

Sounds like gill flukes to me. My GBR had this 2 weeks ago and the only reason I noticed was because of the flashing. Gill flukes are little parasites that live in he gills of a fish and slowly eat away at the gills. The treatment I used for the GBR was Sera Mycopur. Not sure if your LFS sells this as the U.S doesn't allow anyone to have any products from this brand shipped into the U.S. It is a 3 day treatment that worked great for me. I think Prazipro helps against gill flukes, so if you have any of that then dose it. Treat the GBR's for it as well.

I would call Seachem and ask. They are very good at identifying disease. Try to get a pic for them if you can. They also make a wide variety of very good medications and will be able to advise you which one to use.

This comes straight from Seachem. Maybe it will help.

http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=7052

Talks about Paraguard and Gill Flukes.

You need something with praziquantil.. Paraguard is reall really harsh.. Prazi is safe for the fish...

Prazi pro is what ive used, some meds have prazi in it like API General Cure. But general cure is kinda expensive compared to pure prazipro

Back
Top Bottom