tiny snail???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animalzrok2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i bought some plants from petco for my new tank, and today i found this tiny snail who is a 1/4 a centimeter. It looks very healthy and i am wondering if i should keep it in the tank or not.
Thanks!

You could keep it, snails don't harm anything as far as I know and they're actually rather fun to watch. I'm betting you might have more than one though, and examine the plants for eggs. :D

i cant find any snails or eggs. i'm worried that the eggs were on the roots and that i burried them. i dont know mabey it was from the other plants at the store.

It's probably a pond snail. Although if you got luckier it could be a Malaysian Trumpet Snail.
Both types will quickly multiply out of control though if you're not careful (I know from personal experience!)
As long as you do regular water changes though, and don't overfeed you can keep them in check, and then they can be a good thing to have.

Orange and gold does not, however, sound like a pond snail.
Is it possibly a Nerite?!?

I think it's a ramshorn. Does it look like the shell is in the form of a ramshorn? dark brown or pinkish red body

it has a shell thats inbetween a cone and a circle. i thought it was an apple snail at first but im not sure

he has that shape shell but his skin is white.... ill post a picture in the morning

Those Bladder snails are pretty. I wish I had some. It seems they are a type of Pond Snail. Or they are at least related.

My Pond Snails are lighter colored and goldish (almost like the Bladder Snails) but only when they are young and tiny. As they get bigger and older their shells darken to dark browns, dark grey, and black -- with tiny lighter colored spots. This may be what Animalzrok2 is seeing: a baby pond snail when it is still lighter colored.

Also, for reference if it helps, my Pond Snails have milky-whiteish, very light grey skin/flesh.

You could keep it, snails don't harm anything as far as I know and they're actually rather fun to watch. I'm betting you might have more than one though, and examine the plants for eggs. :D

today i found more snails... i dont know where they are coming from though

If there are egg sacs, you won't see them all. Also if they are bladder snails they don't need another snail to make babies ( in my case ). Most snails just need another snail to multiply.

Back
Top Bottom