Tiny white "bugs" in my freshwater planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
I tried to post this on an older existing thread but couldn't so here's a new thread...

I just found these same things in my freshwater 100 gallon. Weird thing is there are NO fish in the tank as I've been just cycling it for 4 months. I guess they will be a nice addition in a couple months when I ADD fish but I'm curious as to how they emerged as I have noticed nothing in the tank for the time period of February through today.

Guess all I'm wondering is this a problem?

Attachments

• bugs.JPG
    bugs.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 396
I tried to zoom in on the pic but it was a little blurry. Can you describe the size, shape (I'm guessing roundish), and how they moved about?

We're they hopping? Or rapid bursts in a zig zag pattern? Or somewhat slower? Or not moving at all? My guesses (in sequence of the questions):
Daphnia
Copepods
Seed shrimp
Freshwater limpets

All can be carried in with plants. Not harmful. Usually eaten by fish (the last one listed not so much).

Most seem to be feeding on my driftwood although some when they "swim" seem to just swim, not a zig zag and not too quick. They appear to be almost like small kernels of sand.

Noteworthy characteristic is they don't have to swim. They can crawl on the driftwood.

Most seem to be feeding on my driftwood although some when they "swim" seem to just swim, not a zig zag and not too quick. They appear to be almost like small kernels of sand.

Noteworthy characteristic is they don't have to swim. They can crawl on the driftwood.

That sounds like seed shrimp or ostracods. I have those and Copepods (and hydra, planaria, detritus worms) in my planted tank.

Back
Top Bottom