Tiny white particles....????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly5978

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone know what these tiny white particles in my 20 gallon tank are? They are making the water cloudy, but I'm afraid to do a water change and mess up my "good" bacteria. I'd appreciate any advice!

Attachments

• image-1209858685.jpg
    image-1209858685.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 355
  • image-2037084690.jpg
    image-2037084690.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 505
Water change ur filter holds all the good bacteria so just don't clean the filters ull be fine Chang that water ASAP tho

I've been trying to cycle my tank for almost 2 1/2 weeks and have done plenty of water changes. Also my tank does this 2 but alot of mine is like oxygen bubbles over the past 2 weeks the tank has probably been emptied and refilled " not at once but through multiple 25% changes " anyways emptied and filled about 4-5 times

And I can't get rid of my white particles

I use the penguin bio-wheel -150 that came with tank. Considering getting an underground filter, cause the bio-wheel may be too strong for the angels. I made the mistake of doing too frequent (too much water) water changes, in my 10 gallon tank....which is why it's still not completely cycled 2 months later. (still trying to rid myself of nitrites in the 10 gal). So, I was trying to leave this 20 gallon alone, adding prime to protect fish, and using stability to speed up the cycle. But, I am going to do a 20% change....and hope it helps. I thought good bacteria was in the gravel/substrate too?

All the good stuff is going to be in the filter pads and that bio wheel I have one as well the same one I had to put a pice of glass in front of the output to slow down the current it works well if your filters are dirty rinse them in cold water not hot hot will remove all the good stuff if u need to replace one always keep the dirtyist one in the filter and wait for the new one to get dirty b4 u replacement hope this helps

Never replace your filter pad unless it is falling apart rise it in a bucket of tank water never use tap water. good luck

Does anyone know what these tiny white particles in my 20 gallon tank are? They are making the water cloudy, but I'm afraid to do a water change and mess up my "good" bacteria. I'd appreciate any advice!

I've been trying to cycle my tank for almost 2 1/2 weeks and have done plenty of water changes. Also my tank does this 2 but alot of mine is like oxygen bubbles over the past 2 weeks the tank has probably been emptied and refilled " not at once but through multiple 25% changes " anyways emptied and filled about 4-5 times

And I can't get rid of my white particles
Put some polyfil in your filter. IMO, every filter should have some.....

I use the penguin bio-wheel -150 that came with tank. Considering getting an underground filter, cause the bio-wheel may be too strong for the angels. I made the mistake of doing too frequent (too much water) water changes, in my 10 gallon tank....which is why it's still not completely cycled 2 months later. (still trying to rid myself of nitrites in the 10 gal). So, I was trying to leave this 20 gallon alone, adding prime to protect fish, and using stability to speed up the cycle. But, I am going to do a 20% change....and hope it helps. I thought good bacteria was in the gravel/substrate too?

Did you get the 20 gallon marine land led ?

Don't do under gravel they are a sham.

Check out the aquaclear's ! They are 3 stage filters ! Heard great things ! Thinking about adding 1 ontop of my bio wheel 150!

http://amzn.to/Zm03ZU

Check out the aquaclear's ! They are 3 stage filters ! Heard great things ! Thinking about adding 1 ontop of my bio wheel 150!

http://amzn.to/Zm03ZU

+1 on skipping the undergravel filter. They used to be awesome back in the day but we have easy access to better now.

What kind of substrate are you using?

What's polyfilter? IMO? Sorry....newbie
It's like the stuffing you find in cushions and bed pillows. You can get it in craft/hobby stores, walmart, online etc. It is super cheap, a big bag that will last for months/years for a few dollars. Just pop it in your filter and when it gets dirty, just swap it out. It will pick up any tiny particles and leave your water really clear.
Just make sure you get 100% polyfil, no additives(fire retardants)...

Amazon.com: AquaClear 50 Power Filter - 110 V, UL Listed (Includes AquaClear 50 Carbon, AquaClear 50 Foam & AquaClear 50 BioMax: Pet Supplies
Patrick, have a look into the Fluval C series. They are made by the same parent company who make Aquaclear's and are considered to be an upgrade to the aquaclear range. 5 stage filters, including a wet/dry drip tray!!!!

Yes, 20 gallon marineland led! And, I'm going to try the polyfil...I posted a video. These white tiny things are driving me crazy!

A video helped someone mention it might be bubbles feeding into the filter. My bubble curtain is too long! I would never have guessed that without the help of this forum! I am soooo happy I joined! Now, to get myself booted out....(haha, I hope). What exactly is a substrate? From my reading I thought it was the bottom of tank (gravel and such) that held the "good and bad" bacteria. Please don't make fun, I started these tanks within the past few months, and am taking in a lot of info....;)

Substrate is just your gravel/sand/whatever you have on the bottom of your tank. Yeah it holds some of your bacteria, but the majority will be in your filter. :)

Back
Top Bottom