Tiny White Threadlike Worms in Gravel... Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just noticed very tiny threadlike white worms wiggling around in the gravel. I read online that these could be nematodes (because they're roundworms and not flat like the planaria). I realize that I would need to feed less, do numerous gravel vacs and water changes to alleviate this issue. Does that sound about right?

Also, some sites say that they are normal and won't harm fish while other sites seem to describe them as a parasite to fish (where you can spot them hanging out the anus of infected fish). Which is it, harmful or not? Or are there different species of nematodes that are associated with aquariums? I'm confused... LOL

Could still be planaria, they are the most common, after finding some very thin hairlike worms swimming one day with the filter off for a water change, I did a massive amount of research... After everything, came to the conclusion that they are probably small planaria and may change to the more accepted look later... they are not harmful if they are planaria and overfeeding seems to be the main culprit. For me I saw them during my fish less cycle and chalked it up the the little bit of extra food that I put in to help kickstart some ammo in the tank...

Attachments

• image-4225201018.png
    image-4225201018.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 32,253
  • image-4043129669.jpg
    image-4043129669.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 689
The pics aren't mine, some pics I found while doing research

Thanks for sharing your research. Also in my research I've noticed a lot of aquarists mis-identifying nemotodes as planaria on numerous sites. Is there a credible site that shows the life stages of the planaria to start off as thin, elongated, and thread like? Everything I find (images and videos) of planaria to appear more flat (flatworms), shorter in length (like small white slugs), with a distinctive diamond shaped head. Conversely, the nematodes resemble a uniform width (with small tapering at the ends) , are also white, and are so thin throughout the entire length of their body that they look like a wiggly strand of white carpet.

I don't see them on the glass other than within the gravel bed. I also see the tiniest of white dots moving around pretty fast down there too. Like tiny bugs... Any idea what those are? I did most recently have a small development of MTS (trumpet snails), which Ive read are a good thing.

And this brings me back to my original question, if I indeed have nematodes are they the parasitic pests that infect fish and hang out the anus (eventually) OR are they the common, won't harm fish, type living in the substrate (only eating detritus and waste)? Either way, I know since they are present, it's an indicator that I'm not properly maintaining my aquarium; and I will address that.

Here's a video of what I see in my tank (not my video)...

Note: If you YouTube vids of planaria, they look and move quite differently.

Yeah, that definitely doesn't move like planaria, that one is too fast moving... See mine are even smaller than that, like lint in water but changing direction and wiggling, maybe even the younger version of that, never came across too many vids, most pics... In this case I would have to agree, yours dont seem to be planaria. Have you seen any on the fish themselves?

I don't see them on the fish (thankfully). But it appears (from research once again) that I would only see them in later stages when they come out the anus of the fish. However, when I try to do more research on nematodes in aquariums it just leads me to MORE confusion. I read that there are a lot of species of nemotodes in general. There's just some ambiguity as to how many are found in aquaria. And which for that matter, are the type to worry about in infecting fish or are harmless like most. I just don't know how to decipher the difference.

Like I mentioned earlier, some sites talk of nematodes as if they were dangerous parasites and paint some drastic measures of getting rid of them, while others talk of them as a minor nuisance that wont harm fish (rather the condition that caused them to appear as the more pressing issue). I'm just hoping someone here as some knowledge and experience that they can kick down.

I have exactly what you are explaining. I found these in my red eared slider tank. Joey (the res) seems to be fine. I just want them out of the tank!! I spent half the day trying to get them out of the tank. I drained the tank, washed the gravel, and put the turtle in a hospital tank, and used a parasite remover chemical! And they are still in the tank!!!!!!!!

I've been doing PWC's every other day with a more than average thorough gravel vacuuming. In addition, I've been feeding less and I think I have them under control since I hardly see them now. Im sure a few are surviving deep in the gravel bed somewhere. I think they will certainly multiply like crazy if I'm not more careful with feeding and cleaning.... LOL

I've been doing PWC's every other day with a more than average thorough gravel vacuuming. In addition, I've been feeding less and I think I have them under control since I hardly see them now. Im sure a few are surviving deep in the gravel bed somewhere. I think they will certainly multiply like crazy if I'm not more careful with feeding and cleaning.... LOL

I have just noticed white worm like things on the gravel but don't move, I think it's poop but white? I just added some glass catfish and have an albino pleco...

They're planaria worms. They usually breed like crazy due to overfeeding. You usually don't see them because they live in the gravel, but when their food source becomes scarce, they migrate to the top of the gravel, all over the tank walls, and all throught the water. I did a natural cleansing. I got guppies. Depending on the tank size, I would do about ten guppies every ten gallons. Large or small outbreaks don't matter. They'll eat all the worms outta the gravel in a couple days. I did it a few times, for a few different tanks I have. They work everytime.

Back
Top Bottom