Tiny white worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just saw some tiny white worms crawling along a leaf in my tank. They were only a few millimeters long. When disturbed, they swam away by wriggling rapidly. I can try to get photos or videos in the morning, but they're just so small I'm not sure how to.
I'm thinking they're detrius worms, but I could be wrong. Any ideas?

Gosh... I'll try to get a video. I honestly have no clue. Are any of those types of worms harmful? If so, what do I do to get rid of them without hurting my shrimp and snails?

I've been trying to find some but no luck. I saw them last night right before lights out while checking on the tank. I've watched YouTube videos and now I'm even more confused...
All I know is they were crawling along my vallisneria (eating some algae?) and when I disturbed them they swam away really quickly by wriggling really fast. I will do my best to get pictures or videos.

I have never seen planaria swim. They glide over the substrate surface or on the glass. And they are not fast. So it has to be something else.

Last edited:
Hmm... well at least we've ruled something out. That leaves nematodes or detrius worms. I don't have any experience with either, so I'm probabaly of no help. I will try and get another picture this evening if they come out again.

I'll give that a go. I've been a little concerned about doing a water change as I just spotted some teeny shrimplets! :) Maybe if I go slow and make sure to check the bucket all will go well.
I have had no luck spotting them again, I looked last night and found nothing. When I saw them the other day they were crawling along a leaf eating algae, yet last night I checked every leaf and found none. I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled in case they make another appearance.

Good idea! I'll have to run to the hardware store and pick one up. My current bucket is red so I have no clue how I'd manage to spot reddish babies in there :lol:

Clear is even easier to spot them. Some of the young ones are hard to spot. Not a lot of color yet.

Yea, I can barely find them when they're in the tank... I'll see if I can find a clear bucket.

I got a food safe one at Smart & Final. It's only 6 quarts but I can check a bit at a time. Autumnsky gave me a trick. If you swirl the water a bit the shrimp will move across the current. It makes them easier to spot too.

Back
Top Bottom