Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tips for dealing with curious cats and fish tanks

Hi everyone! Ok, so for a while now I've been wanting to put up a small tank in my room. Only problem is, my cat practically lives in my room. I used to keep a small betta tank in my room but was forced to move it when I came home one day and to my horror (and the bettas too I'm sure) my cat had knocked the lid off the tank and was chasing my betta around with his paw. (This was over a year ago and don't worry the betta was fine) So, do any of you guys with curious kitties have some tips on how to keep them away from the fish? If I get a tank in my room it would most likely only be a 10gal.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

My kitty leaves my tanks alone, except one on the floor. I just take him away if he tries to reach inside, and he's learned he can only watch. You could try taping the hood or something. If you keep an eye on your cat it should learn that the fish aren't meant to be pawed :P

--Adeeb

adeebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #3

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I've never had a cat disturb any of my tanks with lids, now the poor betta in the Fluval Chi gets tormented daily when were not home.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure how much $ you're trying to spend, but I believe the Fluval Edge tanks are totally covered.

http://www.petco.com/product/111569/Hagen-Fluval-Edge-Aquarium-Kit-in-Pewter.aspx
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
I'm not sure how much $ you're trying to spend, but I believe the Fluval Edge tanks are totally covered.

http://www.petco.com/product/111569/Hagen-Fluval-Edge-Aquarium-Kit-in-Pewter.aspx
wow that's gorgeous but definitely a little pricey for me. Maybe if I save up I might be able to afford it. I guess the plus is that it does come with all the hardware already so I'd just need water and decorations. Do you know if they come in anything larger than a 6gal?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua315 View Post
wow that's gorgeous but definitely a little pricey for me. Maybe if I save up I might be able to afford it. I guess the plus is that it does come with all the hardware already so I'd just need water and decorations. Do you know if they come in anything larger than a 6gal?
There's supposed to be a Fluval Edge 2 12 gallon tank...but I don't think it's being released until October. I'm sure it'll be a lot more expensive, but at least you'll have a few months to save up
Old 06-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check out this vid, it shows the new tank. It's really nice looking. Ridiculously overstocked IMO, but what do they care, they want $, lol. The box my 5 gallon Fluval Chi cam in had a picture of 3 Goldfish swimming around in it on the front, haha!

YouTube - ‪Fluval Edge 2 - 12 Gallon Size, New LED Lights and new Colors‬‏
Old 06-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cats and Tanks

Hello Aqua...

There's a very simple remedy, just get a large squirt bottle, fill it and when the cat starts to play with the fish, a couple of well placed squirts in the cat's face will take care of the problem. It may take a few squirts, but cats are very smart and will eventually get the message.

I do have to remind mine from time to time that the tanks are off limits.

B
Old 06-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23 View Post
Check out this vid, it shows the new tank. It's really nice looking. Ridiculously overstocked IMO, but what do they care, they want $, lol. The box my 5 gallon Fluval Chi cam in had a picture of 3 Goldfish swimming around in it on the front, haha!

YouTube - ‪Fluval Edge 2 - 12 Gallon Size, New LED Lights and new Colors‬‏
the first tank they showed didnt even look that great
Old 06-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Of my two cats only one paid any attention. I increased the height of my stand and moved anything around it that would allow it to jump on the tank. My buddy will still stand and for the most part blindly bat the bottom of the tank. Not sure what your furniture setup is but this worked for me.

Tags
rio, tan, tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com