Tips for getting a bolivian ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am getting a bolivian ram today. I have a 20 gallon long tank with 4 platy, a 200 gph filter. The temperature is currently 76 degrees F (24.44 C), ph is around 7.8, ammonia is 0, nirtates are 20, nitrites are 0. I currently have fake plants, though I want to add a few anubias next week. I have 2 small, artificial caves. I did a 25% water change last night. The tank has been running since October 2010.

When adding the ram, I should drip acclimate it, right? How long? Will it show signs of agression twords my platy? I am only getting 1, so are males or females more colorful and peaceful? Are Aqueon Tropical Flakes good food for them? Should I also pick up some frozen bloodworms? Should I raise the temperature? Thanks so much, any other advice is appreciated!

Whenever I get rams I always get two. I try to get a pair but sometimes that doesn't happen. With two you let the fish pay more attention to the other than the other fish species. With that being said though, I have never had a problem with a ram bothering another fish whether it was by itself or not. I have six german blue rams in my 110 gal planted tank and they are in their own world and pay no attention to other fishes. I have two bol rams in my 20 gal tall tank and they are the same way. I noticed the males tend to be more colorful, especially when females are around and even more so when there are other males too. Guess its just cichlid response to having females around and needing to out show the other males. They are cool fishes, only thing I would do is try to lower the ph, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Forgot to answer the food question. I feed my fish a staple of omega with periodic feedings of krill and bloodworm three times week

Back
Top Bottom