TIRE TRACK EEL adivce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian14

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 inch tire track eel in a 125 gallon right now along with a two large oscars and a large jack dempsey.. (I know). I have had him in there for almost a year and he seems to do alright in his little corner and pvc pipes, he only comes out for food. Will only eat live foods.

I had an idea that if I put him in a 46 gallon bowfront I have with guppies and other community fish, he could hunt the guppies and their babies at his will. He will only eat one large worm every day or so. I wonder if he would do better in a non predatory tank, even though it's much smaller.

I do have a 265 gallon with two large vieja and other fish but there wouldn't be anything for him to feed off of.

It is quite humorous when I put a worm in the net and try to bring it down in front of the eel, they will swarm the net as soon as it goes in the water and will often actually steal it

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have a 10 inch tire track eel in a 125 gallon right now along with a two large oscars and a large jack dempsey.. (I know). I have had him in there for almost a year and he seems to do alright in his little corner and pvc pipes, he only comes out for food. Will only eat live foods.

I had an idea that if I put him in a 46 gallon bowfront I have with guppies and other community fish, he could hunt the guppies and their babies at his will. He will only eat one large worm every day or so. I wonder if he would do better in a non predatory tank, even though it's much smaller.

I do have a 265 gallon with two large vieja and other fish but there wouldn't be anything for him to feed off of.

It is quite humorous when I put a worm in the net and try to bring it down in front of the eel, they will swarm the net as soon as it goes in the water and will often actually steal it

I would *highly* advise against putting him in ANY tank besides your largest one. Now I'm speaking from tank size and not its current inhabitants, I don't know about them. Tire Track Eels get massive and can put up with true monsters! Many members on Monster Fish Keepers have the larger Eels in with giant fish and claim to have success.
I'd definitely put him in the 265 as long as he's got tons of places to escape their potential aggression. If you try hard enough to get his food to him I'm pretty sure you could lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I read the tire track eels don't grow as big in captivity than they do in the wild. It's a deep tank it'd be pretty difficult to feed him especially with the other fish trying to go for the worm. You still wouldn't think I could put him in the 46 gallon and let him eat more and then transfer him to the 265?

I have never seen him use more than 12 inches of the 6 foot tank he is in now

I read the tire track eels don't grow as big in captivity than they do in the wild. It's a deep tank it'd be pretty difficult to feed him especially with the other fish trying to go for the worm. You still wouldn't think I could put him in the 46 gallon and let him eat more and then transfer him to the 265?

I have never seen him use more than 12 inches of the 6 foot tank he is in now

That may work however the constant shift of water may stress him and the handling.
Let me make sure I've got this right: you want to move the eel to a 46 to feed him every now and again and keep him In the 265 gallon?

To the 46 gallon so he can feed more and get his own food when he wants (guppies and their fry) and then eventually when he gets bigger put him to the 265

To the 46 gallon so he can feed more and get his own food when he wants (guppies and their fry) and then eventually when he gets bigger put him to the 265

I don't know, that's very risky. Keeping him in there too long and he may start to show signs of stunting, it depends on how long you want him in there.

Back
Top Bottom