To Big of a Filter ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gal planted Cichlid tank with a Marineland emperor 400 filter (up to 80 gals ) I just picked up a brand new Fluval FX6 canister filter (up to 400 gals )and was wondering if there is any down side to using a filter this big?

The only downside would be flow inside the tank. But that can be diverted and managed. The type of fish you keep could maybe be an issue but you keep Cichlids so it's not an issue. I personally don't think it's to big. I think it's running between 550 to 600 gph filled with media. So you would be around 10 to 11x tank turnover per hour.

It might seem like a lot. You can split the output with a T fitting, throttle it back slightly with a ball valve, build / buy spray bars to help bring it down some.

I have a filter rated 350 gph on a 25 gal with no issues.

Filters

I have a 55 gal planted Cichlid tank with a Marineland emperor 400 filter (up to 80 gals ) I just picked up a brand new Fluval FX6 canister filter (up to 400 gals )and was wondering if there is any down side to using a filter this big?

Hello Aman...

The only downside I can think of is the cost. Even a high end, very expensive filter isn't going to do a much better job of filtering the water than an inexpensive sponge filter. The reason is, no filter can remove old toxic water and replace it with clean water. The filter is just taking in toxic water and returning the water to the tank a little bit less toxic. If you really want the tank water to be clean, then remove and replace most of it every week. The large, frequent water change is the real filter, not the mechanical gizmo.

B

Back
Top Bottom