To Carbon, or Not to Carbon. That is the Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericwithac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just curious about carbon. Do i need to get carbon inside my cannister right now? I have a 55g planted tank that will have low-med light plants.

Thanks!

I'd run purigen in my canister before carbon.
I think carbon is a coin toss. Some peeps won't run a tank without it. Some people only use it to remove meds from the water column.

I'd run purigen in my canister before carbon.
I think carbon is a coin toss. Some peeps won't run a tank without it. Some people only use it to remove meds from the water column.

Sweet! I was already leaning towards purigen anyhow! Thanks!

Yeah I use Purigen in my canister. At first I didn't believe it when it said it could make my water more clear, I thought my water was clear already. After a couple of days though I thought "wow everything in my tank looks so crisp" and realized it was probably related to putting in the Purigen. Love the stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Not positive but I know some of those will remove nutrients the plants need. Personally I don't think chemical filtration is necessary and I just use mechanical and biological filtration. Good biological filtration is key to a healthy aquarium though.

Yeah I use Purigen in my canister. At first I didn't believe it when it said it could make my water more clear, I thought my water was clear already. After a couple of days though I thought "wow everything in my tank looks so crisp" and realized it was probably related to putting in the Purigen. Love the stuff.

Woohoo!

Same as my experience. Nothing does the job like Purigen and it is also cheaper than using carbon because it lasts longer. The combination of micron polishing pads and Purigen takes my crystal clear water to the point that it is stunning.

Back
Top Bottom