To clarify, can I have a blue and a gold Gourami with a Dwarf?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently I have guppies, red wag platies, neon tetras, Angelicus Botia loaches, otocinclus and a pretty good sized dwarf gourami. He is bigger than any dwarf gourami I have ever seen. He is definitely a dwarf gourami though. He is orange, with blue lines. He was much smaller when I got him. Anyway, I got to looking at some blue and gold gourami at southern ag and they are very impressive. What are the possible issues with mixing gourami like that? Will it work? Could it work? If I tried it and monitored to see if a problem arises is it something that I would notice within minutes, hours or days?

I really do not want to put my current gourami in any negative situation so if it is ill advised I will not do it. Just trying to get some clarification.

60 gallon planted, 48"x13" two feet top to bottom.

To clarify, the blue and gold gourami I am referencing are two separate fish. One blue gourami and one gold gourami I am interested in.

Blue n gold gouramis are different color variations of the same species. They are generally very intolerant of their own kind. Even if it works out for months eventually it will change. I have nothing against them in community tanks they are wonderful fish I have just learned not to mix them

Blue n gold gouramis are different color variations of the same species. They are generally very intolerant of their own kind. Even if it works out for months eventually it will change. I have nothing against them in community tanks they are wonderful fish I have just learned not to mix them

Yeah, I figured that was the case. I read where females were less aggressive, but I would not know how to differentiate the sexes.

And I did input my stock and proposed stock into aqadvisor just to see what it had to say, but one must take that site as a loose guide. It says my angelicus botia cannot coexist with guppies. My Angelicus botia are the most peaceful fish in my tank. So even though aqadvisor said no on mixing Gourami, I wanted to get clarification on if someone had done it successfully.

Polka dot loaches right? I heard someone say they are agggressive too but I've never seen it either...:)

Yeah, they are also known as polka dot loaches. Everything i have ever read on them is that they are extremely peaceful and sociable. That is what i have observed. Some people get them confused with the yo yo loach though so that could be the error. Would not think aqadvisor would make that mistake, but it could explain the misconception from others.

Back
Top Bottom