To Cool for School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
How come fish never school as well when you get them home as they do in the store? That always makes me a little sad.

i believe the schooling instict comes out stronger in times of stress, ie: LFS conditions

Yes, once they relax in the tank they just disorganize! Happy, hard-to-see fishies. I only get to see mine attend school when I do something dramatic (redecorate) in the tank!

plecoperson said:
Yes, once they relax in the tank they just disorganize! Happy, hard-to-see fishies. I only get to see mine attend school when I do something dramatic (redecorate) in the tank!
Exactly! Even now when I do water changes, one of my cherry barbs will follow me around and hang out right next to the tube!

Take their non-schooling as a sign that they are very comfortable in your tank. (y)

Before I moved my tank a little over a week ago my 8 glo-lite tetras would be fairly spread out. I bought 5 at one time and then 3 later on and the 5 are much larger. There would usually be 2 or three smaller groups of them around the tank. After I moved I noticed them all hanging out together. I don't know if it helped that I put them all in the same bag when I moved or not. But right now, they are sticking together a little better than they normally did. They are mostly in one school now and sometimes 2 or 3 will venture off.

my tiger barbs all huddle under the output of my canister filter, they just float there looking at me like there planning some kind of attack LOL

Agreed! I think that they feel "safe" and happy in the tank if they break up. One exception IMO are Cardinals. Mine are always schooling tightly and are almost always together :p

Back
Top Bottom