To heat or not to heat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey no problem :) GOOD LUCK with the cycle! The thing I have noticed is if you plan things out you have a better chance at getting it right the first time even if something does come up you dont expect. ;)

Just finished reading all those sites you posted. They were great. Two of them even have step by step "instructions" I can follow. (y) I'll start as soon as I get my stuff from Big Al's.

Good going Gina. Wish you all the best :D Just to echo the goldies out there...my mom-in-law has a beautiful goldie. She's about 8 years old. Her tail is about 4" long and when she moves, she resembles a mermaid (hence why we call her she). Let's just say, whenever I make the trek to her house, I tend to pay more attention to the fish than the humans :wink:

Awesome links GuppyGuy!

The one about nitrosomas dormancy has me worried though. (http://article.dphnet.com/cat-01/naturewonders3.shtml )
If my biofilter won't start growing until a certain minimum of ammonia is present, my current low bioload experiment is doomed to failure! In an earlier thread, another AA user posted his experience, which was close to the setup I have now. He got an ammonia spike 5 weeks into a new tank with a low bioload. We couldn't explain it, but postulated that there might be a "threshold effect" for biofilter developement. Neither of us had ever heard of a threshold ammonia level for biofilter growth. The link above indicates that there is! Soooo, despite my huge dose of patience the last 5 weeks, it would seem I might have to go through an ammonia spike after all (groan). Time will tell. Thanks for the great links.

I posted this elsewhere but I got my stuff from Big Al's so I officially started my fishless cycling yesterday. My ammonia is about 6 ppm. The color chart goes from 4ppm then 8ppm. My dark green color is a little darker than 4 but not as dark as 8, so I figure, okay, 6! LOL! Nitrites and Nitrates at zero with pH at 7. I added the bacteria yesterday so I'm eager to see a change in Ammonia. Does anyone have an idea as to when I might see a change in the readings? A couple of days? Will it be necessary to add more of the bacteria during this cycling process? The bottle says to add every 7 days for 2 weeks but I'm thinking if the readings are right, why tamper with it.
Thanks! :D

Bottled...Big Al's brand but it's the same as the other stuff people have mentioned (the name is escaping me right now LOL).

Well my readings haven't changed at all this week. Ammonia still reading high, and nitrates and nitrites at zero. I would think the bacteria would have affected the ammonia some by now. I think I may need to add some more in there. :?:

Back
Top Bottom