To many schools?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I know that betta stress with to many school am I good with this stock
1 male betta
6 harlequin rasborias
6 albino cory
6 white cloud minnows
2 german rams

Bettas are solitary fish and are not meant to be with tank mates. It's a rare male betta (or even female) that will put up with other fish.

What size is this tank?

LyndaB said:
Bettas are solitary fish and are not meant to be with tank mates. It's a rare male betta (or even female) that will put up with other fish.

What size is this tank?

IMO/E bettas, even males, do fine with tank mates. The thought that they are strictly solitary is old and outdated.

What size tank?

Unless the tank is very big, I think that would stress out the betta too much. Also, aren't white clouds coldwater? I think you'd have a problem keeping them with the rams, because the rams like temps around 80*-82*.

I don't mind if someone respectfully disagrees with me, however, it's rude to call someone's thoughts old and outdated. I speak from personal experience and the experience of fellow fishkeepers. Just so you know, I didn't pull this opinion out of a hat. ;)

LyndaB said:
I don't mind if someone respectfully disagrees with me, however, it's rude to call someone's thoughts old and outdated. I speak from personal experience and the experience of fellow fishkeepers. Just so you know, I didn't pull this opinion out of a hat. ;)

I'm not saying you did pull it out of a hat, and saying it was outdated was not directed toward your thoughts, I'm sorry if it sounded that way. But the thought that they are solitary fish was a common thought, it wasn't directed toward you, sorry if it sounded like that :)

I agree, that is a lot of schools so it may stress the betta out if plenty of room isn't provided.

In a 10g it won't work, in a 180g it probably will! You get my point, it all depends on the environment 

I believe the tank is 55 gallons.

The bettas I have kept (there have been many) have done fine with tank mates. Harlequin rasboras have always made excellent tank mates for my bettas. The activity level of the white clouds may stress the betta. The cories will be ignored in a tank that size, and the rams stay almost exclusively toward the bottom of the tank so they'll probably never interact. IME tank mates are fine if chosen carefully.

You may find that it's difficult to get food to the betta with all that activity going on.

What size is this tank?
most bettas are great in community tanks. and i think the stocking will work

bettas are great in community tanks. and i think the stocking will work

Not all of them are great in community tanks. Most do fine but to make a blanket statement like that is incorrect IMO. I know LyndaB from another site and although we tend to disagree on betta stocking, she has had many years of experience keeping bettas and obviously has had some bad experiences with them in community tanks.

Not all of them are great in community tanks. Most do fine but to make a blanket statement like that is incorrect IMO. I know LyndaB from another site and although we tend to disagree on betta stocking, she has had many years of experience keeping bettas and obviously has had some bad experiences with them in community tanks.
ok,not all bettas are good in community tanks. some are just abnormally aggressive and some tanks have nippy fish. i will edit my post to say "most bettas are great in community tanks"

Tropical said:
Unless the tank is very big, I think that would stress out the betta too much. Also, aren't white clouds coldwater? I think you'd have a problem keeping them with the rams, because the rams like temps around 80*-82*.

White clouds max temp is 77° but so are harlequins and I keep them in 81° and that's what temp I will be keeping them at

severum mama said:
I believe the tank is 55 gallons.

The bettas I have kept (there have been many) have done fine with tank mates. Harlequin rasboras have always made excellent tank mates for my bettas. The activity level of the white clouds may stress the betta. The cories will be ignored in a tank that size, and the rams stay almost exclusively toward the bottom of the tank so they'll probably never interact. IME tank mates are fine if chosen carefully.

You may find that it's difficult to get food to the betta with all that activity going on.

Hey sm I bought a new tank its a 40g hex that is what I'm doing for its stock I thought the height would separate it enough let me let me know if I'm wrong thx

Oh, LOL. Congrats on your new tank, I was thinking of the other one. I still think it will probably be fine, I'd just be concerned about the white clouds with betta since WC's are so active.

I don't worry about temp with white clouds. They bred in our outdoor pond all last summer in water temps of 85 or so.

severum mama said:
Oh, LOL. Congrats on your new tank, I was thinking of the other one. I still think it will probably be fine, I'd just be concerned about the white clouds with betta since WC's are so active.

I don't worry about temp with white clouds. They bred in our outdoor pond all last summer in water temps of 85 or so.

Should I just up my harlequins instead

For reference:

I have had a male betta in a 55 gallon community tank for about 9 months. No problems whatsoever. Although to be honest, the barbs did nip his tail for a couple days then got bored. I don't blame them. How could they resist that long, red flowing tail? haha.

It also helps that he was added after my danios, barbs and shrimp. Therefore he realized it wasn't "his" tank and had no territorial disputes.

His tank mates are.
4 Ottos
6 Glowlight Danios
5 Albino X-ray Tetras
3 Cherry Barbs (2M-1F)
2 Amano Shrimp
(used to be 4 shrimp, 4 barbs and 5 ottos) RIP:(

They actually all get along. Every once in a while the Betta will "sniff" the shrimp but never actually bites. Just curiosity I guess.

Should I just up my harlequins instead

That is what I would do. If you want a school of different fish, though, you could do something like neons, cardinals, rummynose, glowlights, etc.- the smaller species that aren't known nippers.

So I know that betta stress with to many school am I good with this stock
1 male betta
6 harlequin rasborias
6 albino cory
6 white cloud minnows
2 german rams

I've had many bettas in many communities, and one of the rare combos that hasn't worked out for me is betta with rams.

The majority of bettas I have experience with are excellent community members. Though it's more rare, I've also had bettas that couldn't even share a tank with a snail, let alone another fish. I think any time you are introducing a betta into a community there should be a back-up plan. If you cannot immediately remove the fish and put it someplace proper if there were to be a problem, then I wouldn't try it all.

If mixing bettas with zippy schoolers, I would add some floating plants. This will help them feel more secure when they are hanging out up top. My favorites for them are anacharis and pennywort.

siva said:
I've had many bettas in many communities, and one of the rare combos that hasn't worked out for me is betta with rams.

The majority of bettas I have experience with are excellent community members. Though it's more rare, I've also had bettas that couldn't even share a tank with a snail, let alone another fish. I think any time you are introducing a betta into a community there should be a back-up plan. If you cannot immediately remove the fish and put it someplace proper if there were to be a problem, then I wouldn't try it all.

If mixing bettas with zippy schoolers, I would add some floating plants. This will help them feel more secure when they are hanging out up top. My favorites for them are anacharis and pennywort.

I was told to put the betta in first to claim territory it makes it easier is this true....also he stays at the bottom he claimed a cave he doesn't seem to like going up top should I still look at floating plants...ps haven't put in rams yet more of an idea all I have is him 6 harlequins and 6 cory haven't had problems yet

No, I think somehow that got reversed. Typically you would want to add your most territorial fish last so they aren't defensive of territory when you add more fish.

I do have bettas that hang out down low a lot. If given a nice size tank they love to explore and I've found there isn't one region of the tank they really frequent more than others. This is one of the reasons why it didn't work out for me with the rams. The betta was constantly patrolling the bottom which is where the ram hung out and she didn't like him. I would add the floaters..bettas come to the surface to breathe through their labyrinth organ frequently, and hang out up top more at night so they can do this more easily. At the moment I have four bettas in community settings and I regularly see most of them nestled into their floating plants. :)

Back
Top Bottom