To much Oxygen?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SavnLife

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yet another question. I thought my tank was just cloudy. It has been cycling fine, ammonia is at 0.0 and nitrates are coming down also. As I look close at the water it appears that the "cloudy" is actually billions of tiny air bubbles. I have a Penguin 280 Emperor that causes quite a bit of bubbling as the water re-enters the surface of the water. A Penguin powerhead to the undergravel filter just swirling/moving the water surface with NO additional air hooked up.

46 gallon bow front tank, fake plants, rock and gravel. How does the oxygenation of a tank work, and are the excess bubbles dangerous to the fish gills and is there a way to reduce them so the water appears more clear??? Once again I appreciate the great help and input of this group.

Are you sure those are bubbles or maybe particles? If the water appears cloudy, then it's probably a bacteria bloom, which normally occurs when a tank is still cycling or newly cycling. It will clear eventually, but I would monitor your ammonia and nitrITEs.

Hiya Savn:

Oxygenation works at the surface; O2 is exchanged up there (those cute lil bubble walls work by making the surface move, not with the bubbles IN the water) and the more agitation, the more O2 is exchanged.

Why are you running both the Emperor and the UGF? The Emperor should be enough for that tank, unless you plan on adding really messy fish like oscars or goldfish. I suspect the extra powerhead is causing the problem. Is it possible to turn it off for a day or so and see if there is a difference?

Supersaturation of oxygen CAN be an issue. Gas bubble disease can be a problem, although its rare. Its more caused by changes (increases) in saturation levels. Are your fish having any probs?

Back
Top Bottom