To Oto or not to oto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Editor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all!

I've been looking to introduce some algae eaters into my tank, and have fallen for the zebra oto... as well as a plan to get around 5 red cherry shrimp to live in the moss wall and pick out the debris that it picks up (filter outlet pretty much sweeps right along it)..

I have an 8g tank with 4 guppies currently, fluval U1 filter, has been set up since January with the gupps tails growing almost every day and getting brighter all the time...

aqadvisor says I'd just about be ok for stock and filtration capacity so I'd just like some comments on Oto and specifically zebra Oto care.

I've not kept any Otos before, but have read a lot about them as I originally wanted to get a pair or regular otos. As I understand it their a fragile species at best, with the zebra breed being on the even more fragile end of this breed...

So yea I'm open to advice and suggestions on keeping these gorgeous fish before I jump in and order some online...

you need at least 3,and you will have to supplement very quickly. i recently put 3 normal ottos in my 10 galllon tank which was coated in algae,they cleaned it in 3 days.

3 would be absolute max stocking level!

However we currently have a nice empty 20g going through an accelerated fishless cycle in the front room so if needs be we could employ that one if MTS becomes apparent...

I'd be happy to supplement for them, I fairly regularly toss in lumps of blanched courgette or shelled peas for my guppies to have a nibble at.. I have algae wafers too so I could try a load of green veg matter for them until I find what they like best...

if you can supplement then by all means,go right ahead. but you have to get at least 3.mine like blanched cucumber.

Back
Top Bottom