To sump or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have two overflow pipes made from pvc that lead into a single sump that I've had zero issues with. I don't have any tiny critters to deal with but I made my own intake grate and the openings are large enough to allow water very easily and small enough that nothing living can fit in. If I needed to safeguard against smaller animals I could always mesh sleeve the grate and solve those issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I bought a LifeReef Wet/Dry trickle filter with HOB style overflow back in '89. Packed with pall rings and using a drip plate, I ran it for for about 12 years on a FW 55g. Regarding the overflow, it was a pain to prime. I used a length of airline tubing to suck out the bubbles. I didn't like the siphon as being the single point of failure. I still have the sump stored in the attic. If I were to do it again I would go with a drilled tank.

I just drilled the top most point of the overflow and installed a check valve to suck out the air withou letting any back in. I guess the overflow box is sketchy. I was considering making a Weir style box. Has anybody tried this?

What are your opinions on the eshopps pf-800 overflow (maximum flow rate of 800gph) using the RIO 17HF return pump ( 840 gph at 4 foot). I don't want to create a wave pool but I want to get the max turn over rate. I also don't want to put a ball valve on the return line. And if I've been reading correctly the more flow you have the better the siphon will be in the overflow box?

I've been looking at the gutter guard and would for sure put that on the overflow box. These mbuna are small now so I don't want to have to worry about that.

Thanks for all the input so far!

A spray bar might help.

Back
Top Bottom