To those who feed veggies, I have a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
I feed my fish veggies, typically every nite, typically for my plecos. Has anyone left their veggies in longer than 24 hours, specifically cucumber? Ours got left in the tank again last nite, though the fish didnt seem to mind, as one of my plecs is chowing down on it now, and the other is practically gone as well. I know this may not be something to get in the habit of, but and they are about the be removed, but I wanted to hear everyone elses opinions...

Usually after about 24 hours they are extremely soft and break into pieces, which float around the tank. I made the mistake of leaving some in too long and couldn't find it when I went to take it out. The various pieces were floating around the tank.....

They get messy after about 24 hours.

Usually if I leave cucumber in 2 days there is very little left. Got around 40 1 inch bristlenose. Little veggie pirahnas. :lol:

I never see any pieces floating, however. They are all stuck to the filter intake. Usually with a dozen of the little guys pushing & shoving to get the last scraps.

I'm another who leaves it in until it's gone. (Rarely stuff has lasted, maybe 48 hours...but that's unusual since I've a large gibby and otos). I've never had problems beyond the fact that it does break down which would then make it hard to get out if it hasn't been eaten.

I had 2 1/3 length halves in the tank, and my gibbi and common had them gone within 36 hours...minus the skin...

My other tank, with my mango, he did good himself. He has a buddy now, we picked up a chaetostoma pleco last nite, still working on the ID. The store had him listed as a Thomasii, but they dont exist, thus far I have him as a C. sp (4).

My BN pleco will usually finish the piece I give him off in under 24 hours. But from my experience, it does tend to fall apart and float around the tank if left longer than that.

Back
Top Bottom