Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Today I am a fish killer

What a sad day. I killed our 6 glowlight tetras. We are setting up a ten gallon for my wife. We used them to do a fish in cycle (and completed it around the beginning of the month). The tank has been stable all month. As my wife is deciding what fish she wants in the tank (the tetras came from my 20 gal community tank) we noticed that the heater was not working well and kept the tank cooler than we wanted (despite being adjustable). Last night we picked up a new one; it is a cheap one (top fin) cause our budget is tight. Its adjustable, but the nob doesn't tell you what temp you are setting, there is a thermometer built into the side.

This morning I did some re-scaping of the tank (moved plants and rocks around, nothing new added) and added the new heater. I set the temp nob some where in the middle intending to watch the tank thermometer and slowly raise the tank to a proper temp. I forgot to watch the tank thermometer. We went to church. Three hours later when we got home I looked at the tank and noticed all of them dead.

I immediately checked my water parameters. All stable (API Master freshwater liquid test kit) as they have been since we finished the cycle around the beginning of the month. Then it dawned on me that I had raised the temp nearly 10 degrees and probably rather quickly.

I guess there could be something else, but given occam's razor, the simplest and most logical explanation is the heater.

Blah. Saddest part is that three of them were the first fish we ever owned. We started with an established tank we bought used from local classifieds and three of those tetras came with the tank. Not our first loss, but the first ones from negligence (outside of ignorance).

Old 10-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

sorry to hear that

Old 10-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aw man, that really sucks. Sorry

At least you can look forward to getting some new fish?
Old 10-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have that same heater and I despise it!! >
maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHead707 View Post
sorry to hear that
Quote:
Originally Posted by steez View Post
Aw man, that really sucks. Sorry

At least you can look forward to getting some new fish?
Thanks for the condolences. It does suck. As for the new fish...Well that kind of makes it worse. I have been teasing my wife since we got the tank and moved the tetras over that she HAD to keep them (they were so hard to catch and move). I joked about how I was going to get new fish and she had to plan her stocking list around the tetras. Then I go and kill them. I certainly didn't do it on purpose, but its kind of like wishing something bad on someone and then it happens. Doesn't leave you with a good feeling (at least I hope it doesn't). I may get some new ones. I need to decided what I am going to do with the guppies I have. They keep breeding, and I am not sure I like them enough to have more. But if I am going to replace the tetras AND keep the guppies, then I may soon have an overrun tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellag View Post
I have that same heater and I despise it!! >
Why do you despise it?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awww that's sad.... I'm sorry. It could happen to anyone tho and I HATE the heaters that don't have the degrees on them I've got some like that and I'm still scared to adjust them much

Oh and I once killed a neon with my net.( I think I smashed it or gave it a heart attack lol) I was mad that I couldn't catch them and was a little rough. I felt bad (
Old 10-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #7
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Thats aweful. I am really sorry.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Very sad to hear, especially since they were the originals
Old 10-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Very sad indeed and I can have some empathy there, I had a beautiful Blue Peacock Cichlid that somehow as I was rescaping my 75g tank got caught between a rock and a plastic deco. I must have knocked over the Decoration and smashed him. Horrid feeling either way. You have gained knowledge and shared it to caution anyone else, so move forward . Sorry to hear.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry for ur loss

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com