Today I joined the club...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alshain

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Of producing snails from nothingness. I see in my main tank today I have baby MTS. Bear in mind I have added nothing but food & water to the tank in about 3 months and have never had snails before. I'm not compaining though, they will probably do my plants some good. I'm pretty sure they are MTS, unless there is another snail with that kind of spiked horn, it is hard to tell cause they are young.

I think some plants just produce snails as a byproduct...

Not really, but it certainly seems that way sometimes.

I have about 10 snails in my tank now out of nothingness, too. Those snail eggs always manage to end up in the plants.

Just curious... I have 2 snails (that I know of) that have a kind of spiked horn, but the shell is very light colored. Are these MTS?

i found a shell that fits that description light colored bugle like shell, a victim of my kuhlis no doubt...

but i believe that is MTS

I had that too. Plants were in the tank for 3 months, nothing. Then I suddenly had ramshorns. I got lucky though. They breed slow and don't bother the plants.

I have the same snails too, CaysE. I specifically asked for some at the LFS, so I hope they are MTS

Edit - here's what I have:
MTS.jpg

I dunno... mine have a bulbous main shell and the spiral part doesn't stick out as far.

Attachments

• dsc03349_100.jpg
    dsc03349_100.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 20
  • dsc03349_100.jpg
    dsc03349_100.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 21
CaysE, you have a physa snail. They can get about 1/4 inch, maybe a bit bigger . Personally I think they are cute and have not had any problems with them.. If you don't over feed, they don't over produce. In my experience. They can though... The eggs are jelly like blobs. From what I hear about the size of a peanut. Again, I've not seen the eggs nor do I have a problem with them.. They do not bother plants, fish, shrimp, anything. My biggest is a 1/4 inch.

Back
Top Bottom