too hard-or soft?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gone fishin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently removed my top layer of substrate (sand) because my water was very hard. Its about a week later and now my KH is 1-2, and my GH is 9. Is this too soft? I added my usual ferts and NO3 is almost up to 50! PH is still the same (8), so this shows basically no CO2. Gotta go- someones at the door-hello mr. algea!

I'd stop injecting CO2 right away. With a KH of 1-2 you're asking for trouble. The buffering capacity is extremely low and the ph can swign drastically. This will lead to the Death of your fish. Either that or raise your KH. Simple way to raising your KH is by using baking soda. How much to add i'm not sure. I haven't really had to adjust it. Or you could go with CC.

Just curious, how "hard" is way hard? =p

Yes, I too would like to know what you mean by "my water was very hard." a KH of 1-2 is very soft, and you need at least a solid 3dKh before you wanna think about injecting CO2. at that level you might still need to stop injecting at night (my dKh is 8, so I have no experience with 'softwater')

Unless you were using a marine sand, I doubt it added any hardness (even Seachem Onyx sand only adds 1-2 degrees)

According to a article by George Booth at the Krib, 1 teaspoon of baking soda will raise the KH of 50 liters of water 4 degrees without raising GH. 8O

water from my tap is ph 7, kh 0-1, gh 3-4, tank kh and gh was at 16-20 and ph 8. When I did water changes I got a thick white film on the glass at the water line. it came off with the magnet cleaner, but came right back. Looked like water spots all over, had to finally get rid of it with a razor blade. I thought it may be silicates, or hardness, from the sand (playsand). I cant find anything else in my tank that was raising the hardness. I removed 80 percent of the sand, and now the gh and kh took a dive. While I am still injecting co2, why hasnt my ph dropped? The test kits have been replaced recently. What should I be keeping kh and gh levels at? I have had a very thin film of algea growing on older plant leaves, I have changed every peram except hardness to get rid of it , it just doesnt go away. I dont want to use any chemicals, I want to keep it "all natural" Water clarity is excellent, plants are growing, just not growing like crazy. co2 comes out of my reactor, and just seems like its not being absorbed, I felt like the high kh and gh was somehow buffering the co2 absorbtion.

silica play sand won't add any buffering to the tank whatsoever. If it did, saltwater people would rejoice.

I'm not sure your test kits for gh and kh are any good. I'd have your water tested at the LFS.

Oddly, your tap water looks correct. a ph of 7.0 would have very little carbonate hardness. Are you getting water from a water softner? If so, bypass it so you can get harder water.

If all those tank parameters are correct...I'm not sure what to tell you, other than maybe you have a huge phosphate buffer present. You haven't used anything like pH up or pH down have you?

Well you were right it was the test kit ,at least the kh, anyway. So now it is actually 12,but my ph is 8.5 , would peat moss raise my ph? (its in my substrate) What would cause the white film on the glass, could it be limestone? Will the answers ever stop leading to questions ? :? :x :cry:

You do have hard water, thus the film on the glass from evaporation. The only way to handle it would be to keep your water level constant and wipe off your hood frequently.

If anything, peat would lower your pH, as the decomposing of organics acidifies the water.

Back
Top Bottom