Too many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I was at the pet shop recently and they had pygmy cories and I fell in love and I never really liked any time of cory til I saw them. But anyways I already have otos and yoyo loaches. Would adding cories be too much for the bottom of the tank? If so I have a ten gallon that I dont know what to do with. Would these cories be okay in a ten gallon as small as they are? Thank you! Also if I were to get them how many would be a good number?

Pygmy cories are fine in a 10 gallon and I think they might be better off there than with the yo yo loaches, but I'm not certain.

Do you know what tank mates would be good for them? I was thinking some kind of tetra most likely

brunettebaby4571 said:
Do you know what tank mates would be good for them? I was thinking some kind of tetra most likely

Yo-yos need a larger tank I'm pretty sure but a school of cories would be fine if you rehomed the yoyos

Yo-yos need a larger tank I'm pretty sure but a school of cories would be fine if you rehomed the yoyos

I don't think the Yo-yos are in the 10, I think she was considering setting up the 10 for the pygmys.

Yeah, small and peaceful tankmates for the corys since they are so small and you don't want them to be eaten.

Corys in a 10 G

Ok I was at the pet shop recently and they had pygmy cories and I fell in love and I never really liked any time of cory til I saw them. But anyways I already have otos and yoyo loaches. Would adding cories be too much for the bottom of the tank? If so I have a ten gallon that I dont know what to do with. Would these cories be okay in a ten gallon as small as they are? Thank you! Also if I were to get them how many would be a good number?

Hello brun...

Corydoras are shoaling fish and are natural foragers. They need considerable room to work around the tank for their food. I wouldn't recommend putting any fish in such a small tank. It would be like keeping a dog or cat in a bathroom.

If you want to keep Corys in a comfortable home, then keep them in no less than a 30 G tank and plant it heavily with Anaubias, Java Fern and Singapore moss. Use some pieces of driftwood to anchor your plants and add some rocks too. You can also float Anacharis and Pennywort to create shaded areas. Corys are most comfortable in low lighting.

I keep large tanks of several different species of these "little cats" and the smallest tank I have is 38 gallons. These fish can live several years in the right conditions, so it's best to give them lots of room.

Just a couple of thoughts from a "Cory Keeper".

B

Hello brun...

Corydoras are shoaling fish and are natural foragers. They need considerable room to work around the tank for their food. I wouldn't recommend putting any fish in such a small tank. It would be like keeping a dog or cat in a bathroom.

If you want to keep Corys in a comfortable home, then keep them in no less than a 30 G tank and plant it heavily with Anaubias, Java Fern and Singapore moss. Use some pieces of driftwood to anchor your plants and add some rocks too. You can also float Anacharis and Pennywort to create shaded areas. Corys are most comfortable in low lighting.

I keep large tanks of several different species of these "little cats" and the smallest tank I have is 38 gallons. These fish can live several years in the right conditions, so it's best to give them lots of room.

B

I disagree. Pygmy corys only get to be about 1 inch long. I see no reason you can't keep a shoal of them in a 10 gallon. Of course a 20 long or a 30 would be better, but when is it ever not better? Not very often.

Thank you guys and everything I have read says they dont get very big. I do have a 40 gallon but I didnt know if they could go in there with the loaches and the otos since they would all be on the bottom although the otos are rarely on the bottom they are usually on plants or other stuff. The 40 gallon is very heavily planted and the ten gallon will also be very well planted when I figure out what I am doing with it.

I also respectively disagree with bbradb's statement. Corydoras hastatus or habrosus "pygmy" corys imo will be fine in a 10gal. Any small tetra or nano fish should do well with them.

Corydoras

Hello again brun...

The decision, of course, is entirely yours. Small tanks are a challenge at best just to keep the water chemistry stable, because there's very little water to dilute a mistake in tank management. To give yourself the best chance for success, you need a larger tank.

I'm not an authority, just have some years dealing with small and large tanks. Do yourself a favor and at least research the benefits of large versus smaller tanks. Also, research the requirements for any fish to have room to grow and to be comfortable in it's environment. If nothing else, put yourself in the fishes' place. What kind of a tank would you prefer?

Again, your call.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello brun...

B

If you put PYGMY Cories in a 30g+ you'll never see them. A school of six would do amazingly well in a ten.

You could do a 5-10 Pygmy corys in a 10g, I rarely see my 7 in my smallest tank a 15g - never seen a Pygmy longer than 2.5 cm, tiny little guys - but they do need similar sized tank mates.

Thank you guys for all the input! I do have a larger tank like I said but it also has otos and yoyo loaches thats why I was asking about the ten gallon. I also have a 20 gallon long that will be free in the next few months so if they happen to get too big by some crazy chance I will make sure they have somewhere else to go! I really want some lemon tetras but I cant find them anywhere. My pet shop was supposed to order them for me and when I got there to pick them and the loaches up the tetras were Pristella tetras :/ But I believe I am going to probably just put some neon tetras in there with the cories or something along those lines! How many tetras would be okay with the cories? I really fell in love with them because they look like itty bitty otos!! They actually were in with the otos and I just wanted to take them out and squeeze them to death!! hahaha :) But thank you guys for all the help!! Oh one more thing...what kind of substrate do they prefer? I am getting ready to take the sand out of my 40 gallon and put gravel back in.

Back
Top Bottom