Too many bottom feeders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tleyton

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gallon corner tank. My current bottom feeder stock is a bristlenose pleco and 6 corydoras and a bamboo shrimp. If I added 5 Kuhli loaches would that be too many bottom feeders? I can't really decide. Any opinions?

I have a 55 gallon corner tank. My current bottom feeder stock is a bristlenose pleco and 6 corydoras and a bamboo shrimp. If I added 5 Kuhli loaches would that be too many bottom feeders? I can't really decide. Any opinions?

First off; what kind of cories are they? Some get big. If they're smaller (2"-3" @adult size) then my advice comes in here. If not, I have no experience with larger cories.

Your tank will look awesome like that, it's not too much, just feed sinking wafers. For 2" or less, feed 1 wafer per bottomfeeder. By 5", try 2 wafers. Feed them wafers every other day or so and you'll be fine. If you have aggressive eaters up on top, I've been recommended to take a clean tube (airline tube works) that is longer than the heighth of your aquarium and put the tube in, putting the wafers in the tube you will get your food to your bottom feeders without pecking from aggressive eaters up top.

If I may, "Pangio Kuhlii" are my favorite Kuhlis, I recommend them entirely. But don't be surprised if you don't see them very often. They're commonly reclusive. If you did like 8 kuhlis, they would be much more confident and come out more. Make sure you have hiding spots if you do kuhlis of any sort.

Just my $0.02.

I have 3 Julii and 3 albino ; was 4 of each as I know that's the recommendation but I could only seem to find 3 of each healthy.

Wow! The pangio kuhlis are awesome! Thanks for the recommendation! I would love to have 8.

Wow! The pangio kuhlis are awesome! Thanks for the recommendation! I would love to have 8.

8 of the kuhlis would work great with those cats. Be sure that your tank is fully cycled before introducing any. They hardly tolerate uncycled water conditions. Good luck to your tank and to your kuhlis.

My tank has been cycled for over a year so I'm good there. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom