Too many fish ! It all started with one Betta ..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irishdaisy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Now I have a 2 gallon with-
5 guppy fry & some snails

A 5gallon with-
3 Platys,2 ottos & 3 guppy fry

A different 5gallon with-
5 dwarf frogs & 3 guppy fry

A 26 gallon with-
3plecos , 3platy, 2silver mollies, 2 hatchets,2guppies and about 12 guppy fry !!

I know my tanks are overstocked.
I'm changing 40percent of the waters twice a week . .

Soon I'm going to return the 3 plecos

And give away all the guppy fry.
If anyone has any suggestions on what else I should do to keep the tanks healthy ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429928228.824789.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429928258.574725.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429928280.088627.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429928337.442613.jpg please let me know!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you get rid of all your fry..

I would do a shrimp tank with the 2g.
5g stays like this
I've never had frogs so I can't comment on your 2nd 5g

And I think your 26g is fine without the pleco and the fry.

If you don't do anything withy your breeding platys and guppies, your population shouldn't increase too much unless you got a lot of hiding spots.

My friend is keeping 3 platys, 2 zebra danios, 1 white cloud minows and 2 guppies in a 5g. It's fully planted and 5 fry survived in 6 months. (4 platys and 1 guppy)

5g stays like this

If you don't do anything withy your breeding platys and guppies, your population shouldn't increase too much unless you got a lot of hiding spots.

My friend is keeping 3 platys, 2 zebra danios, 1 white cloud minows and 2 guppies in a 5g. It's fully planted and 5 fry survived in 6 months. (4 platys and 1 guppy)

Lol I think that's my problem in the 26g ,too many hiding spots

Everyone is telling me to get rid of the plecos but I do see them helping clean the tank plants etc so I have mixed feelings about this I might put ottos instead

I would put a few otos. I had about 15 in my 65g. But sometimes they are too hungry so I feed them algae wafers for a while and stop.

Cory cats could be an idea. They are omnivores and will eat leftover fish food while otos are strictly vegetarians.

Lol you have too many fish? Try having close to 80 :) in 6 different tanks. Plus inverts.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

lol we have over 120 fishes with 5 tanks. I keep telling my wife to stop buying though.

We just go 2 algae eaters today.

All four tanks rolling w/ fish... New record... Low ?

Lol I think that's my problem in the 26g ,too many hiding spots

Everyone is telling me to get rid of the plecos but I do see them helping clean the tank plants etc so I have mixed feelings about this I might put ottos instead

Believe me, plecos helping you clean the tank is a myth. All they do is kind of rasp on the glass but are pooping machines. They don't offer any maintenance like Big Box store employees would like you to believe so don't let that stop you from rehoming them.

Bristle nose has eaten all the algae in my 56 gallon, but pooped it all back out. Looks much better ... Sort of. But I have rehomed a couple of the big ones. Definitely for the best.

irishdaisy, there're less problems with overstocking if you have more hardy plants in overstocked aquarium! They help to absorb waste toxic stuff from the water and produce oxygen for fish. Of course, it's not an excuse to overstocking itself, it may just help to keep your fish in better conditions... the risks persist regardless...

Thanks I think I'm going to pick up a few more plants this week.

I'm giving away my plecos and guppies. And getting a few more hatchet next week. I will have ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430406808.021991.jpg

5g stays like this

Thanks ,I moved all the guppy babies into a new 5g with a cycled filter. it's packed there are about 24 little dudes aged between 2weeks and 3 months. I'm going to give them to the pet store soon. And my plecos as well.

Gave away the guppys. so I have now 2 marble hatchets,3 silver mollies, 3 black platys,3 plecos .and one lucky guppy who is too good at hiding

All in a 26 gallon fluval bowfront.
I have 5 Ottos in a 5 g quarantine tank with 3 platys.
in a few weeks I'm replacing the 3 plecos in my big tank with the ottos even though I've become attached to the plecos patterns and behaviours. Maybe they won't grow ? Lol :)

Back
Top Bottom