Too many PWC's??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it possible (or unhealthy) to do too many/ too frequent PWC's? If so, what would you guys consider to be that limit? And for different percentages of PWC's. Thanks :)

Oscarr19 said:
I thought changing to much water was dangerous to BB?

It is! You work hard to establish a healthy level of bacteria in your tank, doing water changes is great but I wouldn't do more than 50%, maybe up to 75 if there's a problem in the tank. Don't get me wrong I'm all for pwc's but taking out too much water might throw your little Eco-system off guard and start a small cycle.

I thought changing to much water was dangerous to BB?

So long as you're not rinsing out your filter media in fresh water, or allowing the filter media/gravel/rocks/etc. to run dry whilst doing a water change, it shouldn't be detrimental to the beneficial bacteria.

Iduno..I thought that most of the bb lives in the media, not the water/substrate ect... as long as you still have fish in the tank, you should be ok..

Well anyways i always rinse filter media in old tank water and only do 30% water changes unless a fish is sick then i'll do a 50%.

Ausfish said:
It is! You work hard to establish a healthy level of bacteria in your tank, doing water changes is great but I wouldn't do more than 50%, maybe up to 75 if there's a problem in the tank. Don't get me wrong I'm all for pwc's but taking out too much water might throw your little Eco-system off guard and start a small cycle.

Incorrect, bacteria doesn't live in the water it lives in/on the substrate, decor and the bio-media in the filters. As long as the water is replaced with water that has been conditioned by a product like Prime it will cause no damage to the bacteria.

I've done 50-75% changes every other day before to no I'll effect.

Thank all of you! I think I'll do like a 20-30% change every other day. Is that good to you guys? I'm sort of a beginner.

I'm a 75% myself and rinse my media every time. I've never had issue. I do turn off the lights, helps my fish stress less.

Back
Top Bottom