Too many windows? Too much natural light...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
Our living room, where the fish tank is, has a wall of windows. There is no way to get away from outside light. My tank is across the room from the windows, but the whole room gets light. In the summer (Michigan) the room is light from early morning to late evening. I recently changed to sand and am fighting an algae problem. For the last few days I have had my tank lights completely off. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that doesn't use a light in their tank at all, because I am wondering if that is what I am going to have to do in the summertime to keep the algae at bay.

I don't want the tank in any other room, I like to watch the fish while the TV is on, so moving it is not an option.

I only turn my light for maybe 3 min at the max just to feed my fish cause I trained them to come to the top when the lights come on so turn it on and then right back off.

If your not overstocked and have a community tank, you could consider a bristlenose pleco. I have 2, and have never had any issues with algae

Good to hear that I wouldn't be the only one lightless.

Will a BN pleco be okay in a 10 gallon? I might consider it if keeping the lights off is not enough to get my sand clean.

You can try snail also with a tank that small. One or two mystery or ramshorn snails would work.

My tank us 34 uk litres at the moment, I will look ar getting a larger tank, but yes. I have 2bnp's in my tank and they are very happy/ healthy!

Ohh and I also only keep my lights on for 3 hours max a day.

The natural daylight is actually generally too much light too often. The day night cycle in an aquarium should really only be 8-10 hours max daylight. The natural day night cycle is more than that I would suggest getting some shades for your windows or if you have no live plants you could just use algae fix. But basically unless the light is diffused even without a light you may still have an algae problem.

If the tank doesn't have one, I suggest getting a background for it to block out light coming in from the back. Personally, I wouldn't do a bnp in a 10g, but you could get a couple nerite snails. They love algae and won't reproduce in fw. As long as there is light getting into the tank, it's likely you will have an issue though. As was said, you don't need a tank light unless you have real plants. On that note, real plants can help reduce algae. Also, more frequent pwc may help because it gets nitrates out of the water before the algae can use them as nutrients.

Thanks all! Sounds like I need to get some algae eaters because of my light situation.

Would anyone suggest otos? I had them once but they have history of dying easily. They might be an alternative if I decide I don't want snails or the BN pleco. I am hoping that the snails that were suggested won't be ones that reproduce. Been there, done that. I am sure my LFS will have plecos that they would put in a 10 gallon, and that might be interesting (any kind of fish is more interesting than snails), but I have to think on that one more.

Otos aren't the best algae eaters I would say nerite snails, good at eating algae and wont reproduce in fresh water.

Honestly I love my my otos but not sure I would put them in a ten g. I have three in my 95 and they keep the algae away.

You don't want mystery or ramshorn snails because they will reproduce in the tank. Nerite snails will lay eggs but they won't hatch in FW.

I have kept oto pairs in 10g tanks, but I only suggest that if the tank is otherwise lightly stocked with compatible fish. Yes, they can be a bit sensitive. Honestly, I do not know of any pleco that I would suggest for a 10g tank, especially not one that is already stocked with other fish. I still suggest nerites as your best bet, though under certain circumstances, a pair of otos would be OK in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom