Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

too much air pump

Is having a over size air pump bad.I want to use a 60 gallon tetra whisper air pump on my 29 gallon tank,would it be too strong

Old 11-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
come get me tang police!

They make plastic air flow adjusters that slip in line with the air tubing so that you can adjust the flow. An even cheaper method is to tie the tubing into a knot and adjust the tension of the knot to adjust the air flow.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #3

Definitely not too much.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok I thought it air would just be too strong for the valve and it would end up leaking thought it,THANKS
Old 11-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It just puts more oxygen in the water, so the fish can breathe, you cant really have too much. Unless its just rediculous and they cant swim because there is so many bubbles.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Would too much affect plant growth?
Old 11-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #7

Only if you are running CO2 gas, in which case any additional aeration will remove that CO2.

I have never run CO2, always run strong air stones and my plants have always done well.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Too Much Airpump

Good morning fish...

An airpump and airstone do a poor job of getting oxygen into the tank. But, keep it if you like the look of the bubbles. The reason an airpump powered airstone doesn't work well is because the bubbles have a very small surface. The bubbles rise quickly then escape, so there's little gas exchange. Even a lot of bubbles isn't much better. You need a constant current like a power filter makes.

So, if you want to get more oxygen into your tank and carbon dioxide out, then add a small power filter to the one you have.

One other note. If you have a well planted tank, then you don't want too much surface filtration. Power filters create a lot of movement at the water surface, so there's a lot of oxygen driven into the water. Oxygen is a waste product your plants produce, so it makes sense that your plants won't grow well in a high oxygen environment.

Just a thought.

B
Old 11-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #9

Bubbles actively aerate the water. Gas exchange occurs at ANY air-water surface. The oxygen doesn't stop and think, 'Hey, this is just a bubble, I can't cross here, I have to wait until I am in the air above the water.' This is well known and accepted in other industries, but for some reason it just can't seem to catch on here (maybe because none of us are professionals, just hobbyists, regurgitating what we hear other hobbyists claim?). Bubble aeration is a strong tool in both aquaculture (real aquaculture, not hobbyist aquariums) and sewage treatment because the bubbles themselves actively aerate the water column.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

The bubbles themselves are not good sources of oxygen. They are relatively large and have a large surface to volume ratio, and are therefore not an efficient souce of oxygen. In addition, the rise very quickly and are in contact with the water for a relatively small ammount of time. The impact of a bubbler comes from breaking the surface area, allowing gas exchange with the atmosphere. This is the same thing that causes CO2 to offgas. Really, the bubbles don't serve much of a purpose beyond this. You can even use a bubble to remove surface scum for the same reason.

Quote:
One other note. If you have a well planted tank, then you don't want too much surface filtration. Power filters create a lot of movement at the water surface, so there's a lot of oxygen driven into the water. Oxygen is a waste product your plants produce, so it makes sense that your plants won't grow well in a high oxygen environment.
This is pretty much wrong. Oxygen is produced as a byproduct of photosynthesis, but it is required for metabolism of the sugars created dring photosynthesis. Additionally, a well planted tank is already probably near the saturation limit of oxygen. That's why we observe pearling in our plants when they're engaged in photosynthesis: oxygen released cannot go into solution as it is already saturated.

Tags
air, air pump, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com