Too Much Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marshmallow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my tank up for years. 65 gallon, unplanted, peaceful tank.

All the sudden I have way too much algae and have to use algae kill every few weeks. I do have a few algae eaters but they tend to hide and only come out once in while - and that hasn't changed.

The only thing I can think of that has changed is new lights that are hotter/brighter. Also, I have well water which runs through an ph acid neutralizer which hasn't been working as well lately. I adjust the ph as soon as I put the water into the tank - but I'm not sure how the minerals are being affected. It is hard well water. I read somewhere to check the phosphorous (I think) but my test kit doesn't have that option. I've also heard that introducing plants might help ..... open to suggestions please! :banghead:

This is bright green, stringy algae.

Thank you

Are you able to post a pic?
How often do you change the water?
What's your nitrate readings?
How often do you feed your fish?
How long do you leave your lights on?

And welcome to AA, you have come to the right place!

Along with the questions above what lighting fixture and bulbs did you have and what type fixture and bulb are you now using?

Hi. Thank you for your quick reply.

I am unable to post a picture. My water is green where I change water though - to give you an idea of how much (3 weeks after the last water change).

Last time I checked my nitrate level is was fine. I haven't checked lately because I wasn't sure which level is related to algae and my fish are all fine.

I put one of those filters in that change color to indicate which minerals, or whatever, are a problem. (about one week after the last water change) It just turned brown - organic waste.

I feed my fish once a day. a pinch or two.

I was leaving my lights on about 12 hours, then reduced to ten because the new lights were bringing up the temp of the water, and I just turned them down to 8 hours yesterday.

Change water about once a month. :fish2:

Okay please test your nitrate levels for us. You need to change your water weekly. What kind of fish do you have? I'm gonna bet your nitrates are in the 80s range

ok I will check my nitrate levels tonight. I wonder why it has only started happening after ten years of being set up ......

I have about 12 neons, a cherry barb, a couple orange barbs, about five rasboras, one big algae eater who hides usually in an open bark decoration, and two otocinclus who tend to hide - and one catfish (small).

You don't see the new lights as an issue? Or hard water?

Is the water actually tinted green if you put it in a white cup? If so you have a green water algae bloom. If this is the case you have 2 choices. First is to put a UV sterilizer such as this one... Green Killing Machine Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head at PETCO. It will kill all the free floating algae off in a couple days. The second choice is doing a 3 day black out. You have to cover the top, sides, and even bottom of the tank if it receives light and leave it covered for 3 days. No peeking or you break the light cycle. On day 4 remove the covers and only run lighting 6 hours daily for 3 or so weeks. The you can slowly increase lighting by 30 minutes every couple of weeks up to about 8 or so hours. If you see algae begin to grow the dial back lighting 30 minutes.

You also need to be doing a 50% WC weekly in order to keep all nutrient levels in the tank low. Be sure you also keep the gravel vacuumed and the filters cleaned on a regular basis.

ok I will check my nitrate levels tonight. I wonder why it has only started happening after ten years of being set up ......

I have about 12 neons, a cherry barb, a couple orange barbs, about five rasboras, one big algae eater who hides usually in an open bark decoration, and two otocinclus who tend to hide - and one catfish (small).

You don't see the new lights as an issue? Or hard water?

A tank that has been set up that long can have a lot of detritus buildup in the substrate so it needs to be cleaned up well if it hasn't been done. But only do 1/2 at a time so as not to cause a mini cycle. Hard water has nothing to do with algae.

nitrate levels

Are you able to post a pic?
How often do you change the water?
What's your nitrate readings?
How often do you feed your fish?
How long do you leave your lights on?

And welcome to AA, you have come to the right place!

Hi. I tested my nitrates and it was 5.

I did take a photo and used the attachment feature - hopefully that worked :hide:

I believe I answered the rest of your questions in an earlier post ... thanks!

Attachments

• algae.jpg
    algae.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 63
water is tinted green

Is the water actually tinted green if you put it in a white cup? If so you have a green water algae bloom. If this is the case you have 2 choices. First is to put a UV sterilizer such as this one... Green Killing Machine Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head at PETCO. It will kill all the free floating algae off in a couple days. The second choice is doing a 3 day black out. You have to cover the top, sides, and even bottom of the tank if it receives light and leave it covered for 3 days. No peeking or you break the light cycle. On day 4 remove the covers and only run lighting 6 hours daily for 3 or so weeks. The you can slowly increase lighting by 30 minutes every couple of weeks up to about 8 or so hours. If you see algae begin to grow the dial back lighting 30 minutes.

You also need to be doing a 50% WC weekly in order to keep all nutrient levels in the tank low. Be sure you also keep the gravel vacuumed and the filters cleaned on a regular basis.

My water is tinted green. Do you think it is too much lighting then? my new lights are much brighter than the old.

Green algae blooms are often caused from a variety of things such as too much light left on too long daily and excess nutrients in the water. You are going to have to either get a UV sterilizer or try a 3 day black out which may or may not work. You also have to cut way down on photoperiod. Six hours a day is all I would do for several weeks after the algae bloom is killed off. Also doing a 50% WC weekly will help keep any excess nutrient levels down.

Green algae blooms are often caused from a variety of things such as too much light left on too long daily and excess nutrients in the water. You are going to have to either get a UV sterilizer or try a 3 day black out which may or may not work. You also have to cut way down on photoperiod. Six hours a day is all I would do for several weeks after the algae bloom is killed off. Also doing a 50% WC weekly will help keep any excess nutrient levels down.

I did a 50% water change after keeping my acquarium dark for 3 days. I put the lights back on for 8 hours - so I'll switch them to six now. I guess excess nutrients could be from well water ..... but have a feeling my main problem is the new lights and lazy algae eaters! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom