Too Much Bioload?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyWater2525

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!

Next weekend, my local Petco is having their first major aquatics event, and all freshwater fish and live plants are 50% off!!!! I'm soooooo excited!
Back to my question......

I had some fish I was wanting to purchase, but how many fish is the limit?
Here is the list I plan to go from:

20gH

Current Inhabitants
1- Molly
3- Black Skirt Tetras

What I Plan To Add
3- Black Skirt Tetras
7- Harlequin Rasboras

Is this too much to add at one time, or will it be ok?

10g

Current Inhabitants
6- WCMM
2- Amano Shrimp

What I Plan To Add
2- WCMM
5- Ghost Shrimp

Again, is this too much to add at one time, or is it ok?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading!! Help appreciated!! Thanks!!:thanks:

For the 20, thats fine, atleast IMO. For the ten, that may be a little overboard, but manageable. I may be wrong, though.

The ghost shrimp wont live long and dont reproduce in freshwater. But still small Bio load. I get them cheap like 10 for a dollar every couple months just to see something new. But they usually die within a month or my fish get a hold of them.

What do fish say when they hit a wall? ...... Dam!

The 20 is already pretty close to being fully stocked with the Molly IMO. They get up to 5" and need some salt. They're also none stop pooping machines, I mean they can hang with plecos in the, "all I do is poop and eat" club. I suggest removing him and then you can add those fish you want without any worries!

I agree about the Molly but I work on a basic rule of thumb to NOT increase my stock by more than 20% at a time. I think more than doubling your stock in one go is asking for trouble. Your bio load will increase too high before your BB can respond and you risk a mini cycle. Certainly monitor ammonia like a hawk if you go ahead and WC as required until filters catch up.
Happy shopping though. Steve.

Back
Top Bottom