Too much current from filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktulu909

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok,I have a 55 gallon long with 2 Marineland Emperor 400s on it.What I have noticed is that every one of my fish hang out on the bottom of the tank.At first I though maybe it was the light,its a marineland LED 36" singlebright,but I noticed a small pond snail caught in the current and watched him as he was thrown all over the tank in a large circle,from top back,to top front,to bottom front,to bottom back and then top back again.He must have made this journey 8 times before finally resting on one of the filter intakes.

My stock is as follows.
5 Emerald Cory cats
4 Clown loaches (largest is about 2.5-3 inches)
8 red eye tetras
2 longfin tetras
3 albino bristlenose plecos
and 2 fiddler crabs,a male and a female.

Could the output of my filters be basically pushing everything to the bottom of my tank,and with my stock list,would cutting it to one filter be enough?I have a 75 gallon goldfish tank in the front room with one emperor 400 on it and was thinking of taking one from my 55 and putting it out on there since the goldfish are notably larger ,could use the extra filtration and wouldnt be affected as much by the current.

Thoughts?

I think you are on track with moving one of the Emperor 400s to the goldfish tank (due to the waste they generate).
I am running an Emperor 280 + AC 50 on a 20L and there is considerable current. The fish are blue danios and gold tetras (always in motion) and there are some quiet areas with the plants and rocks present.

I actually tried a solution similar to this years ago with so-so success with a 33 hex and emperor 280. Hope it works out for you.

Move the other 400 onto to the 75g goldfish tank. That tank is way underfiltered for goldies. You want atleast 750gph on the 75g. :)

Move the other 400 onto to the 75g goldfish tank. That tank is way underfiltered for goldies. You want atleast 750gph on the 75g. :)

Gonna make the move this weekend when I do water changes. Will the 55 still have enough filtration with just one and my stock(list in original post)?

Ill be honest, I dont keep tropicals so I cant comment on your stocking situation. Hopefully, another member with experience with these guys will chime in!

Running a 400 on a 55g is approximately 7x the filtration which is pretty decent for a normally stocked tropical tank. Some people only run 2-5x filtration their tropical tanks. Obviously, if it proves to be insufficient, you can always add some additional filtration. Aqueons are decent , inexpensive option for boosting filter capacity and they are quite a bit quieter than the emperors. :)

Back
Top Bottom