Too much filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kushgodrex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I Have a 55g with a marineland canister filter. The one made for 55 gallons, would it hurt if I moved to the 100g canister filter?

There's really no such thing as "too much filtration" other than when you have long finned fish that don't handle current in the tank very well. I'd say go for it, and if for some reason it looks like your fish don't like the higher current then there are ways to slow it down while still keeping the increased filtration capacity.

Tank Filtration

I Have a 55g with a marineland canister filter. The one made for 55 gallons, would it hurt if I moved to the 100g canister filter?

Hello Kush...

If you've got deep pockets, then get the best filter. ValuePetSupplies has the Marineland 100 G for $160.00 plus a little shipping.

If the one you have is rated for a 55 G tank, then I'd say stay with it. Overfiltering is fine, but not necessary if you're a good water changer. I change half the water in my 55 G tanks weekly, so the filtration system is just filtering water that already clean. It's really just a piece of equipment I use for gas exhange. The real filtration is an aggressive water change routine.

However, if you tend to slack off on the water changes, then you may need a little extra filter help.

B

Well I do my 50% water changes weekly. I honestly just want to make sure important minerals and my plants won't be affected.

Tank Filtration

Well I do my 50% water changes weekly. I honestly just want to make sure important minerals and my plants won't be affected.

Hello again Kush...

Maintaining a stable water chemistry is the most important thing you can do for your tank inhabitants. You simply need to change a lot of water and do it frequently. Don't feed too much and service the filtration equipment regularly. That's pretty much it. If you're doing these, then you have nothing to fret over, the fish and plants will take care of themselves.

Just have fun!

B

There's really no such thing as "too much filtration" other than when you have long finned fish that don't handle current in the tank very well. I'd say go for it, and if for some reason it looks like your fish don't like the higher current then there are ways to slow it down while still keeping the increased filtration capacity.

+1 Can't see a problem if you decide to increase.

Water changes are obviously the best method, but I personally still like having as much filtration capacity as possible simply as a backup. Life happens, and if I get sick or have emergencies that make it so I can't change my water on the usual schedule then it's a nice bit of piece of mind knowing the tank will still be fine with a slip in the water change schedule :)

So it just comes down to... Is it necessary? No. Does it help if you've got the money to spare? Yes!

Moving to a larger filter will in no way affect your plants unless the current/flow from the new filter is too strong and blows the plants too hard. But even that can be dealt with pretty easily.

Back
Top Bottom