Too much for a 20-gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gouramiboy9142

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, Everyone!
Recently, I've been thinking about re-modeling my 20-gallon aquarium after my Marbled Angelfish sadly passed away. I've been thinking of trying a community-type setup with smaller types of fish. I've devised a group of fish, but I think I might be going a little overboard with stock. Here is my list:

6 Marbled Hatchetfish
6 Neon Tetras
5 Cherry Barbs
2 Honey Gouramis
1 Rubber-lip Pleco
2 or 3 African Dwarf Frogs
Some live plants (particularly Anubias, a Banana Plant, and a Java Fern)

Is this list a little too much for a 20-gallon to hold? If so, please let me know, and also which of these you would reccomend if I can only keep a few.

Thank you very much!

- Diego

Hi, Everyone!
Recently, I've been thinking about re-modeling my 20-gallon aquarium after my Marbled Angelfish sadly passed away. I've been thinking of trying a community-type setup with smaller types of fish. I've devised a group of fish, but I think I might be going a little overboard with stock. Here is my list:

6 Marbled Hatchetfish
6 Neon Tetras
5 Cherry Barbs
2 Honey Gouramis
1 Rubber-lip Pleco
2 or 3 African Dwarf Frogs
Some live plants (particularly Anubias, a Banana Plant, and a Java Fern)

Is this list a little too much for a 20-gallon to hold? If so, please let me know, and also which of these you would reccomend if I can only keep a few.

Thank you very much!

- Diego
Not an expert and often overstocked my tanks but something i want to say. Hatchet fish is a jumper so make sure you keep them if you have a lid. 6 are really too much. They just stay on top always and your gouramis may have territorial issue with them. Also I say don't go for dwarf frogs. Your setup with plants will look more beautiful if its FISH only. Cherries are good choice as they aren't nippy like other barbs. In nano category and if you have a lid then consider clown kilifish. Very beautiful little fish. Also i advise 8 neons.

Hey, there! Thanks for the reply!

Not to worry, yes I do have a lid on my aquarium.

Hmmm... That's strange. I though Honey Gouramis were supposed to be a calmer species. Ah well, if it's really going to be an issue, it wouldn't hurt to skip on them.

Yeah, come to think of it, maybe it is best if I pass on the frogs.

Excellent! Cherry Barbs will be a welcome addition, then, as I've never tried them before.

I see your point- the bigger school the better. 8 it shall be!

I've actually never tried Clown Killifish before, any more info on them?

Thanks again!

- Diego

Hey, there! Thanks for the reply!

Not to worry, yes I do have a lid on my aquarium.

Hmmm... That's strange. I though Honey Gouramis were supposed to be a calmer species. Ah well, if it's really going to be an issue, it wouldn't hurt to skip on them.

Yeah, come to think of it, maybe it is best if I pass on the frogs.

Excellent! Cherry Barbs will be a welcome addition, then, as I've never tried them before.

I see your point- the bigger school the better. 8 it shall be!

I've actually never tried Clown Killifish before, any more info on them?

Thanks again!

- Diego
I don't know really anything about gouramis. I just share my experience that I have a dwarf gourami who was very peaceful but i added a golden wonder kilifish and it went nuts and chased kilifish all over the tank and i had to seperate them. About honey gouramis i don't know much. In YOUR case if you gonna add them together so they maybe fine before gourami make her territory. You can try it but have a back up plan like talk with lfs that you gonna return any of them if it doesn't work. I never kept clown kilis but they look extremely beautiful. They are small and very peaceful little fish. Males have like a rocket flame coming from there rear. Another suggestion is rummy nose tetras. Extremely tight school they form. Cardinal tetras are little expensive but noticeably very dark red than neons but there water parameters are different than neons. Actually in a 20 gallon you can experiment with many nano fish as they produce very less waste and hence low bio load. I recently bought a kind of tetra which is silver tipped tetras. Extremely fast fish and very interactive. Always chasing each other. If you like so much activity they are also a choice but if you like your tank to be calm then avoid them. Another advise is to drip acclimate neon tetras. Good luck. Keep us posted.

PS: I am a casual hobbyist and don't know much but since nobody replied so I thought to share what i experienced. I hope you get more good advise from experience hobbyists.

Thanks again for replying!

I'll take a chance with the gouramis. I see your point with the Dwarf Gouramis. I myself once had one who didn't play too nicely with my mollies. I ended up returning him to the lfs and replaced him with a Honey Gourami, who turned out to be as sweet as the substance they're named after. This is why I wanted to try a male-female pair of them.

These Killifish do sound fascinating, so I'll consider them.

Ah, yes! I've heard of those Silver-tipped tetras! They really do look nice in a planted aquarium!

Yes, there are a lot. I just hope I'm not overstocking, that's all.

That's alright, any feedback/advice is well appreciated!

Thanks again!

- Diego

Add your Gourami's last if you are worried about territorial aggression but otherwise they should be fine. There's always the exception but you won't know that until you try it. Skip on the frogs IMO.

If you got a 20g long I'd say your stocking is good minus the frogs......maxed out though. Keep the filtration at 10x or more turnover and do 40-50% water changes weekly.

Hello! Thanks for replying!

Alright, I'll add the Gouramis last, just to be safe.

Ok. I've decided to pass on the frogs.

Thanks for the feedback on the stock and water changes! Yes, my tank is a 20-long.

Thanks again for answering!

- Diego

Thanks again for replying!

I'll take a chance with the gouramis. I see your point with the Dwarf Gouramis. I myself once had one who didn't play too nicely with my mollies. I ended up returning him to the lfs and replaced him with a Honey Gourami, who turned out to be as sweet as the substance they're named after. This is why I wanted to try a male-female pair of them.

These Killifish do sound fascinating, so I'll consider them.

Ah, yes! I've heard of those Silver-tipped tetras! They really do look nice in a planted aquarium!

Yes, there are a lot. I just hope I'm not overstocking, that's all.

That's alright, any feedback/advice is well appreciated!

Thanks again!

- Diego
As king fisher said adding them last is a great idea and glad tou dropped the idea of African dwarf frogs. Now you are DEFINITELY not overstocked and as q general rule always have high filtration. Good luck and keep us posted. You can also add like two nerite snails as well if you love snails. These zebra nerites look very beautiful and they don't multiply too. Waiting to see your tank when its ready and running.

As king fisher said adding them last is a great idea and glad tou dropped the idea of African dwarf frogs. Now you are DEFINITELY not overstocked and as q general rule always have high filtration. Good luck and keep us posted. You can also add like two nerite snails as well if you love snails. These zebra nerites look very beautiful and they don't multiply too. Waiting to see your tank when its ready and running.

Thanks so much guys!

Thanks fir the clarification on my stock! Glad I can go with (almost) what I had originally intended.

I will make sure my filtration is high.

Snails have always been something interesting for me. I may or may not add a couple, but as kashif314 said, I will make sure they are not a species that reproduces quickly.

Don't worry! I'll make a thread for my completed tank once it's up and running!

-Diego

These are ny zebra nerites. I can't tell you in words how great they are in cleaning algae and they look beautiful. Thought to tell you.

20180911_233035.jpg

Thanks for the picture!

They have such a marvellous pattern! Maybe two of them could be useful, but then I wonder if they'll eat all of my Rubber-lip Pleco's food.

- Diego

Thanks for the picture!

They have such a marvellous pattern! Maybe two of them could be useful, but then I wonder if they'll eat all of my Rubber-lip Pleco's food.

- Diego
They are very slow. Your plecos will eat first and they are good for any left overs. My snails are not interested in any food because they are always busy in cleaning algae from rocks. But in my case i have too much algae because of very bright lights. But i never had them stealing food in any of my tanks which are low light.

Alright, maybe I'll get a pair if it won't be an issue. They sure do look fantastic!

- Diego

If you go with nerites make sure you leave them some food in a new tank as you won't have algea or biofilm right away. Might wait a bit then add them if you don't want to try to supplement the food in your tank vs the pleco.

Just an idea......if you wanted to set up a separate 10 gallon tank you could get your African dwarf frogs and some mystery snails in there. Google image these.....they are pretty cool and come in different colors.

If you go with nerites make sure you leave them some food in a new tank as you won't have algea or biofilm right away. Might wait a bit then add them if you don't want to try to supplement the food in your tank vs the pleco.

Just an idea......if you wanted to set up a separate 10 gallon tank you could get your African dwarf frogs and some mystery snails in there. Google image these.....they are pretty cool and come in different colors.

Ok. Would algae wafers work. If I do add them, it'll be once the tank has matured a little.

Actually, that's not a bad idea, as I have, like, 3 spare 10-gallons. Right now, though, I do want to focus on the main project at hand, but I'll see if I can make something like that happen further down the line. Thanks, anyways! Great idea, once again!

- Diego

Yes the wafers will work. They will eat on left over fish food as well but wouldn't bank on just that for a food source.

Absolutely, just saying in the future. Sounds like you are good on tanks.

Back
Top Bottom