Too much light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rossmort

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 5.5g for my betta and it is just filling up with green algae. I have 2 10 watt CF 65k bulbs over it and am wondering if that is just too much. The tank has been running for 9 months or so, AC200 for filtration.

Do you have live plants in your tank?

If not or if you only have a couple of low light plants then I'd say you definately have too much light. I'd run no more than 10 watts of light. Also be sure your tank doesn't get direct sun light as that will cause extensive algae growth.

If you are growing live plants in your tank and are actually looking to make it heavily planted you'll want to supplement your plants. You'll need to add CO2 and ferts. By doing this your plants will be better able to compete against the algae resulting in less algae and beautiful plants.

Good luck! :)

the plan was to have plants but the last time I bought one it didn't fare too well. It also introduced ICH into my tank (Either it was the plant or live brine shrimp--Can't be for sure) so I haven't tried plants after that. I will have to try plants again I guess.

the plan was to have plants but the last time I bought one it didn't fare too well. It also introduced ICH into my tank (Either it was the plant or live brine shrimp--Can't be for sure) so I haven't tried plants after that. I will have to try plants again I guess.

Back
Top Bottom