Too much moving water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaryThompson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am concerned that my water filter creates too much water movement in my tank. The tank is 29 gal. You can see in the photo that the column of 'waterfall' created; the column is at least halfway to the depth of the tank, I'd guess.
Aquarium_3119.jpg

It obviously does great to aerate the water, but I don't know it's too much, whether the fish would do better in stiller water, or how I'd change it if I wanted to without replacing the filter with another brand or type.

I have 2 blue gouramis, and a small asst of tetra & mollies. I intend on getting more mollies soon.

I know in order to reproduce, the gouramis would prefer still water, but I'm not as concerned about that as I am about the general health and stress levels of all the fish overall.

Any advice?

What model of filter is it? Some HOB's have adjustable flow and as was mentioned, raise the water. I have my water all the way to the top and the waterfall still generates enough surface movement for gas exchange.

MaryThompson said:
I am concerned that my water filter creates too much water movement in my tank. The tank is 29 gal. You can see in the photo that the column of 'waterfall' created; the column is at least halfway to the depth of the tank, I'd guess.

It obviously does great to aerate the water, but I don't know it's too much, whether the fish would do better in stiller water, or how I'd change it if I wanted to without replacing the filter with another brand or type.

I have 2 blue gouramis, and a small asst of tetra & mollies. I intend on getting more mollies soon.

I know in order to reproduce, the gouramis would prefer still water, but I'm not as concerned about that as I am about the general health and stress levels of all the fish overall.

Any advice?

My HOB on my 46g does the same thing but I have female Bettas & CAE's, it doesn't seem to bother anybody. My tank is big enough with enough plants & such that my Bettas can find peaceful water to rest in.

I would say raise the water level. From what I can tell from the photo, it looks like we have the same type of filters. I have mine go all the way up to the beginning of the fall. It works well and gets a lot of water moving on the top, if your worried about not having enough air in the water then get some bubblers if you don't already have some.

phishfriend said:
Yeah looks like marineland penguin. Just raise the water lvl it will fix it for you.

You guys are good! It's a Penquin bio-wheel 200.

So, i raised the water level until it's just touching the lip of the filter. Is that where it should be kept all the time?

Thanks so much!

I have the 280 emperor. I fill till the spill way is cover by a half inch. That will lessen the flow and you will still get enough surface movement.

Back
Top Bottom