Too much O2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

The surface skimmer I have hooked up to my filter is causing a lot of air to be shot out of the output tube. It makes the water look less clear because of all the bubbles in the tank. Should I get rid of the skimmer?

I don't think you need a surface skimmer on a fresh water tank, but the bubbles should cause no problem. :D

the strong current might stress out the fish. Btw how does the surface skimmer cause the output tube to shoot out strong currents? I have one to clean the surface scum and all it does is suck the surface.

I didn't say it caused strong currents, but it does add air bubbles to the current already coming out of the output tube. Its the same strength current as it was without the skimmer, I'm not sure where you got the strong current thing :?:

oopz i took the "causing a lot of air to be shot out of the output tube" to be strong current. Buy a different skimmer. or just take it out

If its causing issues, pull it out. surface skimming doesn't dramatically improve your water quality anyways.

malkore said:
If its causing issues, pull it out. surface skimming doesn't dramatically improve your water quality anyways.

the surface scum gets really ugly without the skimmer in my tank. How do you keep it from your tank?

I'm fine with the skimmer, but I have two concerns:

Is it bad for either my canister filter or the bacteria in it to be running a lot of air through it?

Can someone knowledgeable answer either of these? Thanks guys.

If air is trapped in or constantly going around the impellor then there could be some wear and tar problems. It depends how much air.

I think the air is just going straight through, it seems to be about a 70% water/30% air mix. Do you think it is okay? Also, if I get a UV sterilizer (Coralife Turbo Twist 3X - 9 Watt U.V. Sterilizer) will the air be a problem?

Back
Top Bottom