Toggle Menu Menu

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Back to Forum

New Reply
Test
10-08-2005, 10:13 PM
I have white sand, so poop is easy to see in my tank. Is there ANYTHING that will eat it, perhaps mts? How bad is it if i just sift the tank around and put it under the surface of the sand?

10-08-2005, 10:15 PM
Nothing will eat poop. You have to vacuum it out. If you leave it biuld up your nitrates will continue to rise making it unhealthy for your fish.

10-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Snails will break down fish waste, but then they produce their own. You need to be vacuuming the tank while doing 25% PWC weekly/biweekly.

Quote:
How bad is it if i just sift the tank around and put it under the surface of the sand?
If you do that, you will also be convering up uneaten food. Both the waste and the food will led to nitrate build up and "old tank" syndrome. Best bet--vacuum for a healthy tank!
10-08-2005, 10:34 PM

That's like asking which dog will eat poop. -Sorry, I had to mention that.

But honestly, eating the poop is the duty of your gravel cleaner.
10-08-2005, 11:13 PM
here is a suggestion.

get an airstone or powerhead to blow and stir the sand (place the airstone/powerhead in areas of dead spots/where the most poo accumulates)

the strong current will help keep the poo/particles floating - and the filter will suck it up !
10-08-2005, 11:38 PM
I vaccum and stuff, its just that the white sand makes every little poop stand out. What if i buried the poop, is that bad? How is snail poop compared to cichlid poop?
10-08-2005, 11:38 PM
The filter won't suck up all the fish waste.
10-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Have you thought of mixing some black sand with the white sand? It will help camoflague the waste. That's what I do. You can't see the fish waste in the community tanks. But cichlid poo is much bigger and you can definately tell that it's waste.
10-08-2005, 11:47 PM
There is no way around it....don't bury your poop.... your due diligence is the only option. If you do by chance, however, invent a poo vaporizer or a "poo-be-gone" additive, you'd make millions.
10-09-2005, 12:04 AM
so, snails would actually eat the poop?

New Reply

Tags
eat, poop, tan

Menu

Copyright © 2015 Social Knowledge Full Site